1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Me Prius-hit an animal - broken lower grill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tfrain, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tfrain

tfrain Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So hey everyone! I bought a 2005 Prius/Nav with 44K miles on it on Friday. Like new. Love it. Replacing a Honda Pilot. So last night, taking a friend home, I hit a possum or a raccoon or something on the road. Got home, and looked to make sure no damage. Well, it isn't as bad as I initially thought, but whatever I hit, it cracked the lower portion of the bumper (the bottom painted portion under the grill where the foglamps are) and broke the connections on the lower grill insert where it connects to the bumper itself, and pushed it all back up into the space between the radiator and bumper. So basically, where the black grill insert "clicks" into the bumper, it is broken at the top of the black grill. The strip that clicks into the bumper at the top there is still attached, and the "struts" broke. The bottom was fine and I was able to clip that back on to the bottom, but the top is just kinda holding itself in place. It looks fine, but I want to fix it. My questions:

1. What type of plastic is this bottom, black grill insert? I want to get epoxy to fix it, but not sure what kind I need to get. I'm sure someone on here knows? '

2. The crack in the lower bumper is minimal, about 2 inches long. I know it is there and want to fix it if possible. I want to use expoxy or something to repair from the backside, and would use a clamp or something to hold it together while the epoxy sets. Does anyone know what to use on those bumpers?

I was just thinking "Dangit - I just bought this thing and already have damaged it, but it isn't that bad at all. Would like to fix it, especially if I go to block that grill later to improve aerodynamics.

Thanks everybody - long time lurker!

2. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i did something similar awhile back, hit an animal and broke my grille. unfortunately im just now getting around to replacing the grile because first i need to repair my bumper a bit

3. tfrain

tfrain Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So does anyone know what sort of glue or epoxy I would use on the lower black grill? What about repairing the painted bumper? I need to post some photos I guess...