1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kdpearson, Feb 17, 2022.

1. kdpearson

kdpearson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I just purchased a 2005 Prius at auction. I have video of the car running but now that I have taken delivery I can't get it to start. I've used a jump box at the jump location under the hood and in the trunk to no avail. I've also used jumper cables from my pickup and no love. I can't even get the radio (or any accessories) to work.
    I did notice when I tried to start the car and I didn't have the the fob in it's slot I got an orange (tan?) no key indicator. That dash light is the only indicator I see that shows the start button does anything.
    What am I missing?
    I'm gonna pull the 12v battery and charge it out of the car then try again.

2. kdpearson

kdpearson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I spent some more time with the new Prius today. The 12v battery is toast. won't take a charge using a charger made for AGM batteries. For a test I substituted the 12v battery from my Highlander Hybrid (It doesn't actually fit but it makes 12 volts). I'm still seeing the same symptoms as when I had the jumper cables on with the old battery in place. It acts like there isn't a start battery in place at all.
    The headlights do come on as well as the dome light so power is getting to the system.
    I pulled out a volt meter and I can get 12.4 volts all the way to the jumper point in the fuse box.
    I think next I'll get a new battery for the fob. The little LED lights up when I push the lock and unlock buttons but it doesn't activate the doors.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but not sure what that may be...

3. kdpearson

kdpearson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So today is a completely different day! I hooked the Highlander battery back up getting ready to start checking fuses and just for fun I hit the start button again and she started right up! The only thing different in the picture is I changed the battery out in the key fob but as dead as the car looked yesterday I can't imagine that was the fix... Anyway I'll take the success.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would check all the fuses. there are a lot of fuses

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Were the 'no power' symptoms identical when the fob was in the slot?

Did you, at any time, connect the jump backwards? If so, you likely smoked the fusible link in the under hood fuse box.

Another possibility is the AM2 fuse is blown if the inverter cooling pump conveniently failed.

6. kdpearson

kdpearson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks TMR-JWAP. Symptoms were slightly different between fob in the slot and out. I could get the "no key" icon with the fob out of the slot and the automatic button in the non auto position. No, no chance I connected the jumper cables backwards. I checked and verified the link as good using my volt meter. I was getting 12 volts all the way through to the other end of the fuse link.

My plan was to test the inverter pump fuse this morning from research on this site last night but when I hit the start button this time it fired up I stopped looking <grin>. I'll be mounting a real battery in a couple days so I will be able to determine whether this morning was just a fluke and I have more problems or not.

Thanks Bisco. I will run through with my meter and also run through the functionality of the car.
    Now all I need to do is install the new catalytic converter to replace the stolen one and I'll be in business.

#6 kdpearson, Feb 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2022
    bisco likes this.