1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to me....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stacysdad, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Stacysdad

Stacysdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just purchased a 2013 "Sport" Mdl. w/ 172k mi.'s from "Tampa Hybrids."
    Oil change, Transmission serv; Water pump, EGR & Throttle body serv.'s just done.
    Any specific issues to be aware of relative to that year?
    Thanks in advance.

#1 Stacysdad, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Burna J likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No panic, but things to be cognizant of.

For 2010 through 2015: EGR is prone to clog. And neglected, there's a debatable connection to head gasket failure. I'd be a little concerned, that EGR cleaning was "just done", at 172K miles; that's a little late in the day.

For 2010 to partway through model year 2014: Low tension piston rings are more prone to excessive oil consumption.

For 2010 through 2015: two brake components have been somewhat "flakey". They're softball sized chunks of aluminum/steel/rubber mounted on the firewall, names something like "accumulator" and "pump". Sorry I can't be more specific, but there's info out there. One of the components is about a grand, the other maybe 1.5 grand (USD), and labour is a big factor too. Failure symptoms include extra frequent pressurizing, and odd noises when braking.

For a little levity: the rear bumper (fairing?) can barely keep from falling off, tends to droop...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    todd at tampa hybrids is a member here and a good guy. i would discuss any concerns you have with him. ask if he cleaned the whole egr circuit.