1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dpool, Apr 24, 2005.

1. dpool

dpool New Member

Hey, folks! Haven't been here since I got my 2004 (15 months ago) and some of you I know from the increasingly-splintered Yahoo groups. Through a long story (not a sad one), yesterday I traded in my 2004 Tideland Pearl #7 for a 2005 Tideland Pearl #6. And so now all of those threads that had to do with the nav system that I tuned out because they were of no relevance to me are now top of my mind.

Would I be annoying too many people here if I asked:

In the split-screen map mode, I touched the left-side map to bring the cursor over a POI icon...and, after identifying the icon, the map just froze there. We continued driving and the right side map stayed in motion through all our movements but we could not find the right button to hit to free-up the left map and return it to moving in-sync with the right side.

Also, what was the gist of the long dicussion about programming your home into one of the memory locations? Is it...or isn't it...a possible threat to your security should someone steal the vehicle (assuming that it's likely that someone could defeat the Smart Start that easily)?

Dave
    '05 Tideland Pearl #6
    Albuquerque, NM

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressing MAP again (either on the steering wheel or by the display) recentres it on your current position. It's in the manual (right near the start).

3. dpool

dpool New Member

Thanks. I've been on your side of the fence before and know how tempting it is to remark "it's in the manual" (or the less delicate "rtfm"). And continuing to read it is something we will continue to do, I assure you. On the other hand, the interaction between people in forums like this is what sets them apart from simply reading alone. And it's nice to have users with experience provide a few pointers to those who are looking at something as "all new." So I appreciate your help, in spite of the fact that the answer is in the book.

4. Gen2

Gen2 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dpool\";p=\"83831)</div>
    Dave,

I thought about the home issue for a long time and decided it was no bigger a threat than having a copy of my registration and insurance paperwork in the glove compartment. If anyone wanted your home address all they would have to do is to tell the DMV your plate number and for a few bucks the DMV would give them all your info (at least in my state they will.)

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gen2\";p=\"83902)</div>
    DMV records are now mostly confidential in California. Only law enforcement and other authorized governmental entities as well as insurance companies can access information about registered owners and their addresses. The law changed a few years ago, after actress Rebecca Schaeffer was murdered by an obsessed fan who got her address from the DMV.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're really paranoid, just program your home memory point to a nearby service station or convenient store.

7. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"83924)</div>
    Or police station. :)

8. Gen2

Gen2 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA\";p=\"83925)</div>
    Or police station. :)[/b][/quote]

OK, I really like the police station idea :) Although they would still know your address from your papers in the glove compartment (which is a lot easier than trying to figure out someone's NAV system).

By the way, your personal information is easily accesible by someone who really wants to get it, so this is a fairly minor issue. I have personally met I.T. security consultants that have ready access to everyone's personal records (of all sorts) although this is supposed to be strictly a law emforcement privledge.

If you want a good scare read Privacy for Sale: How Computerization Has Made Everyone's Private Life an Open Secret by Jeffrey Rothfeder, or go to a web site that sells information or sneaky methods to get the information (impersonate a business and order your own records from http://www.dmv.org/background-checks.php if you are into giving yourself goosebumps).

After all , the is no such thing as security in an open state like ours, just the illusion of such.