1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to PC - hoping to become new owner - advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dalspot, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dalspot

dalspot One foot off the grid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We are seriously thinking of moving from our '06 Honda CR-V to a 2011 Prius IV.

We had an opportunity to rent a Prius IV from our local dealer this past week. I am happy to report that we are seeing 51+ mpg for the 300 miles we've driven. Been keeping it in ECO mode most of the time. So we know we'll get the advertised fuel mileage and then some.

We have pretty much decided that since the 2012 will cost us at least $1900 more than a 2011 the 2011 it will be... tho that Sea Glass Metallic really is calling me.

We are leaning towards a IV because we plan to keep this quite a few years and I know from our CR-V that the leather holds up well. But the Nav package is a few hundred more for services that I won't keep past the trial. Plus I've been spoiled by heated seats in cold weather.

The navigation in the rental is nice, I'm due for an upgrade to my '03 unit but I was disappointed in the sound quality of the JBL audio. And I've really come to like a back up camera.

I'd love some thoughts and advice on a III vs the IV. What amount should I expect to pay at this point off MSRP? I'm getting some really good "internet" pricing from a few dealers. Unfortunately my local dealer does not have many '11's in stock at this point. I could have sworn the sales guy told us they'll sell $300-$500 under invoice when we first talked to him. Tho they'd have to get what we want for us. Then there goes that old... "well, we can't give you XX price any more because we had to trade a car we really didn't want to, etc." spiel...

And I think I really want the Blue Ribbon Metallic...

Thanks!

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get the Four. You're bound to be disappointed if you go from leather in your CR-V back to cloth in the Three.

3. pjay

pjay New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just made the same move, from an '06 CR-V EX (cloth, no leather) to a brand-new '11 Prius Two.

I paid $21,485, which included destination, for the Prius, plus taxes and DMV. Got $14,000 for the CR-V on the trade-in.

I never had the heated seats, so the only thing the Prius doesn't have that I occasionally used on the CR-V was the sunroof. And it was pretty rare that I used it, so I don't really miss it.

My mileage has been stellar--all highway driving: 48 on the first tank, 43 on the second, 48 on the third, 51 on the fourth. Still on the fourth tank at about 420 miles with about 100 miles to empty.

Good luck with your purchase!

4. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Don't fall into this trap! It's a smoke and mirrors game! Do your research, go to cars.com see whats out there at dealers near you, You will always do better on a car that they have! See what your honda is worth also, Have a out the door price in mind when you go to the dealer and stick to it! Buy as much car as you can afford, If you can swing a (five) get it,You will be more than happy!Good luck.

5. dalspot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles did you have on the V? That's a good trade in. I've got a SE with about 78K, figure on a private sale, I be lucky to get $15K - by KBB standards. I'm seeing discounts up to $4,000 off the list on the Prius (which includes the rebate I'm sure)

Like you, I can do without the sunroof - only time I really use it is to crack it open when it's hot out.

6. pjay

pjay New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, an SE. I figured you must have had the SE, given that you had the leather seats. I don't think the EX came with leather.

My CR-V had 45,200 miles on it, and I had bought it new (April '06 to January '12). I didn't use it to commute (and don't use the Prius to commute).

I think you will be very lucky to get $15,000. But if your V is in good condition, you could very well get that figure. My V had plenty of scratches on the exterior, yet I still got $14,000. I paid $23,000 for it new.

I'm sure lots of Toyota dealers are discounting the 2011s now. When I picked up mine, the salesman told me he still had 35 in inventory. They have to make room for the '12s.

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd buy the '12 III (with navi//JBL but no leather) because the screen graphics are way better, really that simple. I have a '10 III, couldn't justify spending an extra $2000 for the sunroof (having owned a convertible prior to the Prius, a sunroof would not substitute). But if $2000 is pocket change for you...then sure IV.

Just a side tip, don't run your Prius at the max tire PSI unless you want to experience lots of creeking noises... run it at recommended OEM or slightly higher (1-2psi).

8. boopie

boopie Are we there yet?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was just in a similar situation. I think if you're deciding between a Three and a Four and you don't want a lot of the other random add-ons, there's also the option of a Two and adding leather.

I started my search with a 2010 CPO, moved up to a 2011 Two, and took home the 2012 Four. So I may not be the best person to ask. :)

9. dalspot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can add leather to a II? Geeze, throw another monkey wrench into my decision! :eek:

And you're right, you're not ;)

10. boopie

boopie Are we there yet?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not direct from the factory but the dealer will do it, most likely outsourced. I believe someone in one of the other forums sells kits and can probably recommend a local installer.

11. dalspot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, it's more than pocket change! Which is why I'm waffling between a III and IV. And if we were to buy a '12, we're going to pay $1900 more than an '11 would cost. I'm starting to think no NAV package, as I won't use the Satellite radio or any of the other subscription services, and I can get a nice after-market GPS, even a back up camera. Lots of decisions to make.

12. dalspot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no problem driving to a dealer far away - like 352 miles to get a pickup in a certain configuration one time!

That was the easiest car puchase I *ever* made... emailed the dealer said I'd give them $100 over invoice, they called 20 minutes later and took my offer, and then asked what we were driving now, matched the same price we were going to sell it for sight unseen. So we drove the old truck 350 miles, spent 30 minutes in the dealership and drove the new one home.

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ohh I get you, sorry for misunderstanding your post. Then my vote goes for the '11 with navi. Having the screen is sooo much better... but i'm biased, I never had a 3rd gen without navi. :p

The backup camera will make you so lazy...i know i hardly ever turn my neck now. Great if you have kids that like to play in the driveway though! Though true...you can buy an aftermarket backup cam, wire it and all that... but it's hard to put a price to the OEM clean integration.

Btw, IMO the Toyota navi seems to be quite good directions, as good as Garmin and way better than Tom Tom.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You mean the MFD? You don't get the much better NAV display unless you step up to Premium HDD NAV with Entune in the Four.

15. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I should have clarified, but by screen graphics I really meant the non-navigation graphics...such as the audio/phone display looks. I always thought the '10 and '11 had geeky looking graphics on the MFD.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends whether you want DVD-based and a 7" screen or flash-based and 6.1" screen (and slightly lower resolution) for the navigation system (2011 Four w/ Nav vs. "base" 2012 Four). Also, do you want real leather (surfaces only. The sides and back are vinyl) or SofTex synthetic leather (lighter than leather and less VOCs and imo, one of the better fake leather to the touch. Most people can't tell).

The leather is perforated on the 2011 but solid on the 2012.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Only slightly lower resolution for the 6.1" screen? Granted I haven't seen the 7" screen in person, but based on the photos of the Entune system the new display absolutely smokes the 2010/11 NAV screen (which has only 256 colors). Is that not the case on the 2012 production model with 7" screen?

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe someone picked this up already, but the ....

2012 Prius Three does not have JBL like the 10/11. It picked up Entune / 3 door smart key, but JBL starts in the 2012 Four now.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh the new 7" screen is no comparison and blows the current one out of the water. It almost looks like the same one used in the Lexus models.

The 6.1" on the other hand didn't impress me. It could just be the colour scheme (that reminds me of Garmin and the lower resolution PND screens) but it didn't stand out to me as being sharp and crisp. It feels the same as the generic DVD-based 7" nav screen.