1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius and MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by fbgump, Jul 11, 2015.

1. fbgump

fbgump New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We just bought our first Prius, we are liking it so far. I do have a question on MPG. A few days after buying it we took a road trip from Boise to SLC. It has a few mountains to go through. I traveled at 83 mph the whole way, we got 38mpg. Is that to be expected under the conditions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats! yes, that sound about right. how are you calculating mpg?

3. fbgump

fbgump New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I manually calculate it

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a graph here somewhere, by bob wilson, that shows speed vs mpg. and then you throw in the mountains, probably not quantifiable. take a ride at 55 mph on a flat high and see how you do.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bob Wilson did not actually travel that fast, but his graph seems to indicate you are 'normal'

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  6. fbgump

fbgump New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How far should I go? And should I fill up after wards or us the comp as a reference. Also does AC make that much of a difference

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Gen 3 has about a 8% error in the computer. Remember that the AC is not only cooling you, it is cooling that hybrid batteryl. When you feel hot, it is too hot as well.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My standard benchmark is 10 miles each direction:
    • choose a fairly level route
    • reach the target speed and set the cruise control
    • clear the tripmeter
    • record the values when you reach the end (cell camera works great)
    • turn around and repeat in the opposite direction
    This 'takes out' most of the wind and elevation change effects. Then averaging the two runs, you get the mean.

BTW, I recommend you also take a look at: [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat

Finally, consider having the dealer change the transmission oil, ~$75, on the first engine oil change at 5,000 miles. We are seeing evidence of early wear material in the transmission oil. This early change, NOT A FLUSH, gets ~70-75% of the debris out of the car. Take a clean, dry water bottle in and ask for at least a cup of the old oil and we'll arrange to have it tested. A second change with the second oil change will get it down to less than 10% and pretty well do it for the life of the car ... not only for you but the 3d or 4th owner. <GRINS>

Search for 'transmission oil' or 'transmission fluid' and you'll see not just mine but other reports.

One last question, do you 'turn a wrench?' Some folks do and some don't. We have some suggestions depending upon whether you have an interest in more technical details about this wonderful machine.

Bob Wilson

ps. I only get about 22-23 MPG at 100 mph.

bisco likes this.