1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius and need your help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by onefreesoul, Dec 7, 2010.

1. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello to all
    I am new to this site and new to Prius, I am a cross 2003 Prius with 85K as NOT running and needed main battery, bought the car cheap, the car was setting for long while (about 9 months)I charged the Aux.12 V battery, , the cars start right up no problem, but it has triangle of death and also , battery with exclamation on the battery on display and check engine on. the last owner told me it needed main battery, I know, I should have check the code with code reader first , but did not have the device and I thought it was main battery for sure so I took off the main battery off the car and took the cover off and took busbar off and test the voltage cross of each cell there were all between 8.05-8.06 , hmmm they were good, so I thought to put load tester on each cell, all were good, only one cell it dropped fast of load tester to 7.80 then few minutes later it came back ,to 7.90, so next I saw the busbar, was really corroded with blue stuff, I mean really bad,I think it had cells has leaked so I tried to clean it, but I end up calling Toyota stealer I mean dealer for replacement ,I bought new complete kit (cables, busbar , etc for $160) , I put it battery pack together, but I am about to installed the battery pack today, I hope it clears the codes, so here are my questions are , Is my main battery pack is good condition? I understand the voltage should not go below 7.2 since the voltage were more the 7.2 V, so what will cause the error code on the dash? and if cells are good, will voltage spike/ jump due to corroded busbar, will cause that? any input it will be great, thanks
    Joe

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might consider getting a ScanGauge and programming in the error code XGAUGEs for the detailed codes. This way you can identify the specific failure mechanism, there are several, that may be involved:

• leak to ground - typically handled by cleaning the modules
    • module voltage mismatch - the one you're assuming the buss bars will fix
    • snapped sensor lead - there are 19 module pairs that need to be monitored
    There are other codes but without something to read them, you'll never know which one it is and if it is fixed. For example, we've had folks who fixing one problem had a second problem occur. Without the ability to read the codes, it become very frustrating.

We have an excellent thread on the ScanGauge II and NHW11 Prius.

Bob Wilson

3. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, scan the codes. Never know what you will find. Might be something simple. You will want the ability to do that anyway if you put the car on the road.

Eric
    Adopt A Part

4. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help and Yes you are right Bob, Can you tell me where to buy ScanGauge and how to program it so it can give me error code in Xgauges? Again I am new to the Prius world, but I am learning quick!!!! I did put back battery and it cleared the code for about 4 minutes and then it came back, what pain to to take and put back the battery pack, I guess the second time go around it should be easier

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought mine at AutoZone but I think they also sell them at the PriusChat shop. Probably Ebay too.

Bob Wilson

6. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE
    I took the car this afternoon to my local Toyota Dealer to get it checked, for fee of $55, they give me the reading it is saying code P3014 "Battery Block 4 Becomes Weak", and I needed the whole battery pack replaced at cost of $2995 plus tax, so I had planed to replace the number 4 cell , and only that one because money is tight right for me now,While I was there, I checked with service center, to see if it was covered under battery warranty, but guess what, I just received call from service center that it was covered under warranty and they are going to replace the whole pack it has 8 years 100K miles warranty, since mine is 2003 and has 85K , I am covered!!!!! They are going let me know by tomorrow, when they are going get the battery and when I can take my car to shop!!!! WOW that is nice, that is best $55 I spend... So stand by.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    XGAUGEs are program code that one needs to key into the ScanGauge.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    XGAUGEs programming/editor is built-in. Just review the other ScanGauge thread for the details.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  9. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you I was looking that there website it shows that the ScanGauge II it comes with XGAUGEs , so I am assuming that should do it right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

10. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Awesome! :rockon:

I'm hoping your opening of the pack won't cause warranty issues down the line. Is there a notice/warning on the exterior? Tamper seals?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent news.

We had a local boy with over 90k miles get his pack replaced on warranty several years ago.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  13. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are warning label of danger , but there are no tamper seals that I could see! I am not counting my chickens yet, when it is done, then I will be happy until then, lots thing could go wrong, either way it was great learning experience, it was not bad, but trying left the pack in and out of car with person is hardest part!!! will keep you updated in next few days, stand by !!!!

14. onefreesoul

onefreesoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, I got the car back , Toyota Replaced the battery pack with new one under warranty Zero cost, but they told me the car has new code P3120 HV Transaxle Assembly code!!! Now what!!!! I was reading some where if "If I could able to obtain the three-digit info code associated with that DTC, then it may be possible to pin down the problem further." How can I get this done? When I went to pick the car, I saw only that code at mechanic's laptop in repair bay!!!! The car runs great and no over heating and I was able drive till 70 down the freeway,and no problem what so ever and I don't see any leaks!!! the car was in a front-end accident 4 years ago will a bad wiring harness might contribute to the problem? How can I test for that?

15. samairbus

samairbus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi my name is sam u think u can help me with my 2002 prius i have a new battery 12v
    and no crank but when i turn the key 2 start posetion the screen go dark then will come on after 10 sec can u halp me plz tks.