1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius.. need input.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kormaster, Feb 22, 2008.

1. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

Thinking about selling my light-modded 04 E46 M3. Need to free up money for new business venture and although I love my M3, it is the right thing to do to let go.

Trying to be as economic as much as possible. M3 has been a fun toy, but I figure with the gas price rising up and my foot being very heavy when driving the car doesnt help with trying to be "economic"

Question:
    Is the Touring pck with tighter suspension and leather worth the extra money over non touring pck? Of course Im looking for a replacment for my car but trying to justify as much as possible. haha

I live in socal so commuting is something I do everyday. 50 miles per day round-trip. I wish the state still issues HOV but it probably wont happen.

I dont mind getting a used one, but im guessing Touring pck and updated Nav system and stuff is only for 2008?

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the Touring only because it was only $600 more than a package #6 (leather). I like the wheels better, especially after removing the wheel covers. I wanted the leather, I like leather. I wanted the HID's and Navigation. With respect to suspension, I cannot comment because I never drove the regular Prius.

I spend a lot of time in my car, so I figured I would get it loaded.

My advice to you is if you decide you want a Touring Edition and you find one on the lot and you like the color, buy it. The Touring model is difficult to find, most are pre-sold before they make it off the boat. I worked every Toyota dealer in Southern California trying to find a Magnetic Grey Touring. Dealers would say they have it, but then they would say it was sold from under them. I "settled" for a Silver the day my lease expired on my other car.

Lastly, always remember that the Prius is no M3, so don't ever try and compare the two.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to the forum, kormaster. Your M3 definitely has the performance, but the Prius has good mpg numbers. If you are still heavy and aggressive on the throttle, the Prius will give you less mpg as expected. :eek: Once you decide which Prius you want, be prepared to change your driving habits since their is a lot to learn with the Prius. Oh yes, it is also fun to drive. Congrats on considering to go green. :clap2:

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I would say, you don't have to change your driving habits, but you may decide you want to once you have the car. I still drive 65 mph on the highway for local driving and 70 mph or faster on longer trips. I get about 50-55 mpg under those conditions. If you choose to you could do better by slowing down a bit.

Also I don't know the details but have read elsewhere on this site that if you can't find a touring model, you could get a base model and do a couple of mods on your own. I think the real differences between touring and base are wheel size and suspension.

5. hhilbert

hhilbert New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Touring and I commute in LA traffic every day...86 miles one way. Never having driven the non-Touring...I cannot comment. However, driving a Prius means relearning how to drive (if you really want to get the improved mileage which is why I bought mine in the first place).

Stop and Go traffic is a not fuel efficient. Everytime you touch the brake...you lose MPG. Cruising at 60 MPH I can usually get 56-58 MPG...best I've ever gotten is 65.8 MPG in 104 miles driving from an elevation of 2,500' to about 300' in Long Beach. Uphill/downhill really effect you mileage. And, do learn to use the regenerative braking!

But with 192 miles to drive everyday...squeezing every bit out of a gallon of gas is my daily entertainment. :p

Harold

6. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

I am going Green for sure. I'm in the process of parting out my M.

MPG is definitely one thing I like about the Prius and I know that it is like comparing apples and oranges. Its probably the M makes me drive heavy-footed.. haha

I really need to drive non touring and touring model to get a feel for it.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get the Touring (unless you plan on modifying your Prius) only because it's oh so slightly closer (but still far of course) to your M3. People have said that the Touring feels tighter and just an all-round better experience.

A test drive between the two should help you make a decision. I don't know how SoCal Toyota dealers work but if you want leather, make sure you're getting a Pkg 6 with factory leather and not a Pkg 5 with port-installed leather (i.e. aftermarket). Some dealers try to pass it off as a Pkg 6.

2006+ models (if you're looking at used) have the higher resolution screen (with backup camera), updated styling cues and an updated interior.

Check here for the differences:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-most-countries.html

8. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

Thank you so much for the information. I just gotta "test drive" and see what my gut feelings tell me.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The M3 is a Bavarian performance machine. The Prius is a world class urban commuter machine. Its relatively cheap especially to maintain. Its fun to drive easy to park and runs really good. Do not expect it to even approach M3 handling/speed but up against all its contemporaries in its category its a top pick. At least Consumer reports says so. And I do too.

10. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

Sorry for the late reply. My friend is buying my M3 and in a week, i'll be "freed" from gas guzzling enslavement of my beloved sports car. It will be gone but NEVER forgotten.

I drove my co-worker's 04 Prius. during lunch today. What a fun car to drive. I had to get used to some "blind" spot and the "black bar" that i saw in the rear view mirror (part of the trunk thing i guess).

Shifting lever was a new thing since I am programmed to grab on to the shifter found nothing but cup holder :frog:

I gotta see if "couple" thousand dollar more for a factory "tunes" Touring pck is worth it. I did notice increase in road noise and I think i need to get used to the seats since my butt was used to a more snug fitting BMW seats.

Overall, I am convinced and sold on Prius. Just need to shop around for a Grey color one. :rockon: