1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new to Prius, new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by irishman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. irishman

irishman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dad has a 2007 Prius and has sang its praises for so long that I just picked up mine a couple of days ago. Its a 2010, Package V (with the NAV system) in Blizzard Pearl. I haven't had enough time behind the wheel to give a good assessment yet but I do have a question. The brakes feel funny compared to anything I've ever driven. Is this normal? It is overwhelming all the stuff to learn about this vehicle. How long does it take to get it all figured out? There is a manual just for NAV system that is as thick as a phone book!

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The brakes start out using regeneration for braking power, then switch to the "regular" brakes. In a hybrid, by using the wheels as the car slows down to drive the motor(s) in generator mode, it generates electricity back into the batteries. This takes a fair bit of torque to do, so it helps slow the car (imagine the drag on a "normal" car if you shut off the engine but left it engaged). However, as you continue to increase pressure on the brake pedal, eventually you are asking for more braking force than just the regerative braking system can provide. At that time the mechanical brakes take over. This is all controlled by a sophisticated system that monitors deceleration and your needs as "felt" through the brake pedal.

Hang in there, you will learn all the systems. Read the posts here for more info. You should receive your Associates degree in the mail once you complete your course :D

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it is any hope, I got my 2009 on March 28, and this week I got my garage doors to work via the mirror switches and the phone to use bluetooth, (delayed as my old phone did not do bluetooth) so I am getting fine details ironed out in 3 months. I am not getting the 'wonder mileage' some are, but 42 MPG beats 24 MPG.