1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius...possible freon leak?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fifasu, May 3, 2010.

1. fifasu

fifasu New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

Just bought a 2002 Prius with 140K on it and LOVING it! :D

Small problem (or rather BIG problem given the summers in ATL)...my air conditioning doesn't get cold...coolER but not COLD...even when set on 65!

When I took it for a test drive I noticed this and when the dealer checked it out they said it was low on freon and topped it off (or so they said)...no other problems (again so they said).

Now less than a week later...same problem. I'm now worried that there is a leak in the system. I know next to nothing about cars so I'm planning on taking it to the Toyota dealership and having them check it out. I'm worried that this may be a $$$ repair.

So heres the question...if I have a leak and don't repair it will it damage anything else? (I assume so)

How much would it (from others experiences) cost to repair?

I'd LIKE to be a DIY-er but sady am not.

Any suggestions, comments or concerns welcomed!

Thanks ahead of time! :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is likely that there is a leak in the system. The cost is indeterminate as it depends upon the location of the leak.

If you don't repair the leak then the air conditioning system will eventually deteriorate as outside air enters the system. The traction battery needs to be kept at a reasonable operating temperature during hot summer weather. If your cabin air temp is too high, that will not help.

For your comfort and in the interest of promoting battery longevity, I suggest you have your Toyota dealer check out the system and repair as necessary. Good luck.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It sounds like you bought the car from a dealer and the problem is preexisting. If so then you can just bring the car back to the seller and demand free repair. Good luck! :)