1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Shoe, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Shoe

Shoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We just picked up our used 2010 Prius IV with navigation and the solar roof. So many cool toys to play with and get used to, it is a little overwhelming.

Although we were looking to buy new, we found a like new one (20,000 miles) with all the options we wanted and in the color I really liked, Winter Grey.

Now I just have to find the time to read through the 900 pages or so of owners manuals.:rolleyes:

One questions I do have, how do I use the B shifter position when driving as the manual is not very clear about the benefits.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats on the new Prius.

B is for engine braking when going down a hill. You don't need it most of the time. Brake so the regenerative braking fills your battery if not 'to the top'. Once it is full, the friction brake will kick in, seamlessly, so then if you really want you can use b mode. I've owned 2 Prius and never really use it. If you search, there are many various threads about B mode.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No part of CT is over 2400 feet, you pretty much are going to have to leave the state to need B.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! Read the manual... it is required. :)

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You made a smart decision to buy a new (used) Prius. Welcome to PriusChat. I agree with other posters to encourage you to read the owner's manual as you'll be having a test on it later :D

Though you may not have enough elevation to use B shift, you may have a chance to use "Hill Assist". When stopped on a hill, firmly press the brake pedal until hill assist beeps and lights on the dash. Your Prius will now hold without backing down when you go from brake to accelerator. I think this is a very cool feature. Check it out in your owner's manual.

Enjoy the high MPGs, technology and low-emissions.