1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Silver Surfer, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We Just picked up our New 2007 Silver Touring Prius Package 6.
    Found some very helpful information here already. I just disconnected the Seat Belt Beeper :D .
    Looking forward to getting rid of our 14mpg Jeep this week :D :D :D

We will be on this site alot !!!

Maggie & Jim

2. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Jul 28 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]486838[/snapback]</div>

Be careful, this site is addictive! ;-) Congrats on the wise purchase!

3. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a fellow newbie on this site, welcome. Take your time looking around the forums, and use that search - there is just so much great stuff here. I am still learning how to max the mpg, and how to max the info from PC.

So sit back and enjoy both the car and PC :D

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

5. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Jul 29 2007, 04:30 AM) [snapback]487020[/snapback]</div>

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamnnn!! Take it easy......... How many drinks did you have before you wrote this? :blink: It's OK, it's a Saturday night. You're forgiven, I'm sure ;)

6. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Jul 29 2007, 04:30 AM) [snapback]487020[/snapback]</div>
    Party pooper!

My Pri always tells my backpack to fasten his seatbelt.

Turning off the alarm is AOK.

Just wear the belt.

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Welcome Maggie & Jim,

I also have a Silver '07 Touring - don't you just love it? Glad you're here. Most people here are most supportive. Just take what you like and ignore the rest. Have fun!

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Maggie and Jim. My silver isn't Touring, but I love to drive it just the same. Have fun here on PC and don't be afraid to post or ask questions. If you find someone here truly obnoxious, you can set the board to ignore them for you, so you don't see their posts. I have a little list...

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Damn catgic - mellow out! I, for one, found the beeping when I throw my camera bag in the passenger seat intensely annoying, until I killed it. Not sure where your axe grinding came from, but damn. :angry:

Maggie and Jim-

Congrats. Please don't let the odd, fairly harsh response to your first post throw you. With the exception of Mystery Squid, nearly everyone here is welcoming and helpful. Enjoy! Clearly you've already discovered the Mods forum. Got questions - there's probably a thread somewhere - just type it into search. Or post a topic - someone will either blast you with "Read the manual, dummy" or post the answer, or probably both. Hope you have great fun with your new car - mine has been great so far. :)

10. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

11. micksimon

micksimon New Member

Welcome to PC, Maggie and Jim! As you've no doubt seen already, there are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful folks here standing ready to lend a hand.

Mick

PS - Probably not a good idea to ask where the ash tray is either! ;)

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Welcome Aboard, Maggie & Jim...

Here you'll find mostly very helpful information and valid questions to items not covered in your Owner's Manual.

As for one sorehead/critic... Pay no mind. You are surely entitled to modify your Prius' functions as you please. The first modifications I made on both my 2004 Prius, traded for my 2007 Touring Edition were to disable the 'backup beeper' and program the fob to unlock all 4 doors. I also added Body Side Mouldings and a stubby (2") antenna for carwash convenience.

CIAO

13. Silver Surfer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I just want one rebuttal.
    The ONLY thing we will be disconnecting is the seat belt beeper. Maggie wears hers religiously anyway, so that is not an issue for her. As for myself I NEVER wear one. I am a retired (52 year old) Professional Battalion Fire Chief. I know that seat belts save lives, but believe me when I tell you, they also cost lives, and in my 25 years of Firefighting/Rescue work, the odds were more in favor of those who did not have them on. I would rather be ejected from a vehicle than burn in one. Now this is just my little idiosyncracy. I do not preach my philosophy to anyone, I just practice it for myself.
    I will not question anyone's right to do what they feel is right and would ask that same courtesy...so enough of the snide remarks about what vehicle I should or should not purchase. I have disabled the beeper and am thankful for the help recieved at this site. I also ride a motorcycle and wear FULL protective gear including helmet. God bless those who ride without one, but I also found from experience that those wearing full gear have a better chance. So everything I do, I base on experiences viewed over my career.

I look forward to being on this site for a long time.

Thanks again to all those who welcomed us warmly.

Jim & Maggie

14. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Aug 5 2007, 02:28 AM) [snapback]490703[/snapback]</div>
    In the UK, the wearing of seat belts has been compulsory for some time. Many lives have been saved during this time and as a doctor who has worked in a busy casualty unit, I can quote from my experience the benefits of seat belt wearing. Of course there are incidents where seat belts cause problems as there are also incidents where air bags cause problems. But these are insignificant compared to the benefits. Please see http://www.roadsafetyni.gov.uk/index/cars/...s/seatbelts.htm .

I imagine that in your state, wearing of seat belts is not compulsory, and I fully support your decision to decide not to wear one, as I support personal freedom. However I would urge you not to use your previous position to back up a line that could well cost other peoples' lives. If someone were to use your argument to stop wearing a belt, this would statistically increase their risk of death in a car accident. Your standing in the community places you in a position of respect quite rightly. Please use this respect properly. I realise that this sounds sanctimonious - for that I apologise, but this is an area that troubles me greatly.
    I hope you enjoy your Prius - I am certainly enjoying mine. It is one of the safest cars in its class as well as one of the most economical - both reasons for purchase in my case.
    Interestingly, there is no seat belt beeper in my Prius! Just a warning light. I would however be fined if any person did not belt up whilst I was driving if stopped by the Police and would have penalty points put on my license.
    Best wishes,

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 5 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]490789[/snapback]</div>
    The driver and the front seat passengers are required to wear seat belts in North Carolina. Silver Surfer can be in full compliance with the law by riding in the back seat.

NC Seat Belt Law

16. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 5 2007, 03:24 AM) [snapback]490789[/snapback]</div>
    New Hampshire is the only state with NO seat belt law: "Live Free or Die"

17. Silver Surfer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 5 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]490893[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. It's kinda funny how I could legally ride in the back of a pick up truck too, without any type of restraint. Now that makes a lot of sense doesn't it.
    We sure have some great laws here.....
    Let's just drop the subject. No one here can say they are perfectly legal in everthing they do. You do what you feel is right and I will do the same. Nuff said.

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wearing a seatbelt is second nature to me. And I find the flashing seatbelt light plenty sufficient as a warning and reminder. I don't need no freaking beeps, especially when I'm only driving in the parking garage or cruising my neighborhood. So I disable them. Does that make me a crash test dummy??!!??

Anyhow, welcome to Prius chat. Must be nice to retire at 52! :)

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Aug 6 2007, 06:23 AM) [snapback]491182[/snapback]</div>
    Most smart people keep their mouths shut when they break the law, they don't run around boasting about it.

20. skandale

skandale Member

Here in Norway, you are required to use seat belts in all seats of your car.
    Before rear seat belts became standard in all cars, the rule were quite simple: If there is a seat belt for the seat you're sitting in, you are required to use it.

Now there are some new buses in Oslo with seat belts for some of the seats (I do not know why not for all seats), and so, for those seats, the seat belt is required.

And, the ticket you'll get for not wearing your seat belt is $130.

Stein