1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New to the forums, and the car, radio/door questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MukiEX, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MukiEX

MukiEX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey there! I'm relatively new to these forums (a smidgen of lurking the last couple of months, just registered), and I just picked up a pre-owned 2008 Prius.

However, the car didn't come with anything in terms of extras, so we have the dreaded CD Player/Radio combo where there aren't any good options for connecting an iPod (or even my Droid) to play music. I figure I'll last about a month on FM radio, so herein lies my first question:

How practical is it to have an aftermarket radio installed? The main two things I've seen are:
    1. A radio replacing the main
    2. A radio underneath the main, either replacing the small space there or hidden inside the flap for it.

For #2, I'd assume they work "simultaneously", e.g. the radios are connected to the same audio line. In either case, can someone (I have a slightly better set of audio installers at my local store than most big box places, and they're pretty big enthusiasts) install it and keep the steering wheel buttons active for the 2nd radio?

On #1, the main worry is that a) the radio would be more visible and more likely to be stolen and b) an improper installation will break the basic features (engine info, climate control).

Basically, I just wanna add a radio with A2DP and an aux input to my car. I don't mind spending money getting it professionally installed, I just wanna know what my best options might be for doing so ^_^

Onto the door question, and I'm sure this one's been run into the ground: I'm looking for a vertical door kit that :
    - Works both vertically and normally
    - Doesn't require welding (e.g. factory hinges can be replaced if need be in the future)

Scissor doors seems to do the former, but they don't seem to stock Prius kits anymore (there's a link on their site, but a "this product doesn't exist" result for that link). I know JACK ALL about this sorta thing, and I'm not even sure which brands are any good for that kind of product. Heck, I don't even know which review sites cover stuff like this. However, a mod like that is at least a year off, so really, the radio thing is the only one of importance.

Sorry for the jumbled first post, and thanks for reading. =3

2. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did #2 with a Kenwood Excelon, believe it's a model 994, but that's off the top of my head. The main radio is disconnected and the aftermarket is plugged into the existing radio harness, so no, there's no working simultaneously but all the OEM buttons, except the audio buttons, still work. Climate controls, etc still work fine.
    I used the PAC SW-1 into the Kenwood to interface with the steering wheel buttons, so can still use them to control the Kenwood.
    Usbseawolf has a great thread on doing this, recommend you hunt that down and read it.