1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW TORQUE CONVERTER INCREASES FUEL EFFICIENCY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Areometer, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As gas prices continue to rise, automakers are striving to win battles of increments. The new Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon achieves 1 to 2 miles per gallon more than its competition. According to the Ward's article, “General Motors Corp. appears to be winning sales," with fuel efficiency on the minds of those in the industry, suppliers are getting in on the “battle over small increments†as well.

Germany-based LuK GmbH & Co. oHG has developed a new multi-function torque converter for automatic transmissions. The design promises to improve fuel economy in the EPA’s city cycle by up to 6.9%. The torque converter actually disengages itself from the driveline during idle and goes into “lockup†mode faster than a conventional torque converter during acceleration.

>> Read More

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, all that drivers of EXISTING automatics need to learn is that
    they, too, can "actually disengage" their converters from the
    driveline during idle by popping into neutral when waiting at lights.
    And many other well-known MPG-improving practices. If they care.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mpghints.html
    _H*

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a manual lockup switch in my Camaro. I can lock the torque converter in second and fourth gears. it makes a huge difference in mpg although I'm not sure I would want that feature to be computer controlled. Locking the TC is like engaging a clutch...

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Aug 8 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]299850[/snapback]</div>
    All the newer LSx based cars/trucks have computer controlled lock up converters. In the early 2000s some of the racers would put a manual lock-up switch inline and hit it at the top of 3rd gear for increased trap speeds. Now most people just use EFI Live or LS1Edit etc to control the lock-up feature. Comes in handy when dynoing an auto. :) In my 4x4 I lock it up near the top of 2nd gear since i now cross the traps at 105mph in 2nd gear.