1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Toyota Accessory Kit for iPod / iPhone $299

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jpadc, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see in the new 2009 Toyota Prius brochure is a listing for a new iPod / iPhone integration kit for $299 installed. I can't seem to find any information about what it will do. All I get from my salesman is that it will work with my 2008, but no one seems to know what it will do. Anybody got any info? Will it let you control the iPod / iPhone with the touch screen? Show playlists, songs? Play / FF controls?

Anyone got the scoop?

To see it, go to the Toyota main website and then this file:

/prius-hybrid/ebrochure.html

it is on p.13 of the brochure

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah i am pretty sure you can see the song titles and control the ipod from the steering wheel. the device was actually released in august 2007, its just the first time its been mentioned in a brochure. the two important things to watch out for are:

1) the toyota part will take up your satellite port. you cannot have toyota's iphone interface and a satellite radio connected at the same time

2) when you go to the toyota dealer make sure they install the correct part. some dealers are not installing the toyota part and installing a different companies part and it does not work as good as the toyotas.

the toyota part # is PT545-00082

3. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info..

I see a lot of posts on the site comparing the VAIS and DICE products as well something (maybe?) from coastal ech. I’ve read no discussion of Toyota’s offering here. It surprises me that I can find no mention of it here.

Does anyone know how those products compare to the Toyota one? Given the above caution, I’m assuming the Toyota’s offering requires the AM/SAT radio and it seems the others will work without it. Do you or anyone else have more details about the functionality of the Toyota unit?

4. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah, toyota doesnt go out of thier way to advertise it, so a lot of people do not have it. this is an interesting thread, he went to his toyota dealer to buy the ipod option and they substituted the item and he wasn't happy with it

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/53055-2009-ipod-interface-option.html

you can find a lot of info about it by googling for the part number and reading other toyota and scion forums

5. tongyang

tongyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, from the person's description that sounds completely lame...

6. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My related concern is that if you have a Vais or Dice iPod integration kit and something happens down the road and the Prius touch screen dies or the Nav unit stops working, is Toyota going to say...

"Sorry, not covered under warrenty becuase you hooked up 'unapproved' accessories to the unit. Should have paid way more for way less and gone with the Toyotya unit"

Any thoughts on that?

7. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

yeah he was describing the non toyota version that the dealer substituted him

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those are connected to the radio, not the MFD, but either way....
    If you have any trouble, just remove it before going to the dealer.

9. Cate Ross

Cate Ross Owner of "Millenium Falcon"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got my '08 Prius back after having the Toyota iPod link put in. I'm still learning how to work it, so I'll post that when I have a better handle on it.

The part was an eyebrow-raising $260--had to be ordered in.

Labor for install was another $225--Dealer was already replacing my MFD, so I may have saved some $$$ on that.

Could I have done it more cheaply? Yup. Would it have been warranted? Not by Toyota. So I sucked it up to keep warranty issues clear.

So far, though, it's better than lifting my armrest to get at the iPod to change the playlist. . .

10. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please do report back... I'm interested in learning everything about it as I can find no reliable information about it. I am especially interested in how it handles play lists, it it charges the unit properly etc. What iPod do you have? Also, did they mount it in the glove box or the area below the radio?

Thanks for the info

11. pezx

pezx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just got an 09 Prius and had that installed :D

it works well, I have the iPhone 3G and it DOES charge the phone.

I am still getting used to the screen navigation of the songs, but it plays fine.

Text shows song names and artist, I can use the up/down on the steering wheel or the file knob on the stereo to go thru songs.

I don't know if I would say it is worth $300, I just told them I wanted it included when I was negotiating the price of the car.

I drive alot of highway miles so it is nice to be able to use the steering wheel to handle everything. I can take some photos of it in action if you would like.

Also the cable goes into the glovebox.

12. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'm jealous now. Glad to hear it charges the G3. That puts it one up on the competition for now.

I would like, please do!

13. Jay in Clovis

Jay in Clovis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is another Ipod connector that works thru your Prius with FULL control. I don't know if it works yet (I have to order it next month). Anyway you don't have to give up anything to use your Ipod. It's on Ebay and the companies web site..
    If anybody else has tried this unit let me know.

Ebay search under 2004-2008 TOYOTA PRIUS DIRECT iPOD/iPHONE INPUT W/TEXT
    or
    Integration Solutions

Jay

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When you plug your iPod into this device, does it (iPod) also get turned on or off automatically when you turn the car on or off?

15. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Will it allow you to select playlists and or albums for playback?

16. tongyang

tongyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, does it give you a warning and ask you to turn the iphone 3G into airplane mode when you first plug it in?

If not, that's another plus!

17. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm also interested to hear more about the adapter! I just bought a 2009Prius earlier this evening and will be going back to the dealer tomorrow when the service/parts dept reopens to look at the ipod connector (I was told that they would give it to me at cost if I wanted it). It would be great if someone here could shed some light on whether it has playlist functionality, etc. as I'm trying to compare this with the DICE ipod car integration kit that's now also available for the 2009 Prius...

18. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well, I went ahead and got the new ipod/iphone adapter for my 2009Prius. It was the first time our dealership had installed one (Kearney Mesa Toyota San Diego); up until now, they had been installing the 3rd party ones. Oh and yes, I did confirm on the box that it was the official Part# 545-00082 and not some 3rd party item that they were installing for me (see posts by previous users). I had it installed in the CD-cubby-hole with the snapdown cover on the front dashboard right under the tuner/screen, rather than the glove compartment as it makes it easier to access from the driver's side. Took less time than they expected - between 1 - 1 1/ 2 hrs (less than the 2hrs they had expected). It charges my iPhone (2G, firmware 1.1.4) no problem and the iphone/cord JUST fits into the slot (the installer placed the hole with the cord coming out in the middle of the back, which in retrospect isn't the best place for it as it necessitates the cord to wrap to the end before being placed into the ipod; the hole would have served better if placed at one of the ends of the cubby-hole); ipod controls are disabled on the iphone itself when plugged in (as was expected). I've only had it for about 30mins so havn't had a lot of time to play with it yet... the screen / steeringwheel controls, etc are not that intuitive and I had to refer to the manual to get things going. You basically end up using a combination of on-screen touch controls together with the tuner knob. When skipping from file to file, name/title display lags a bit (the song will come on almost instantaneously but the name/title won't show up for about 2 seconds) - this makes it basically impossible to skip through a list of songs visually. I couldnt figure out a way to bring up a list of songs in the playlist either (ie. all on one screen) - I doubt that is possible. Somewhat annoying as well is that I can't find a way to display the time of the song there (ie. elapsed or remaining). I therefore can't see what timepoint in the song I am in/at when forwarding/reversing through a song, and have to go just by 'ear'.

I don't have bluetooth setup yet so i can't tell if the audio playback mutes out during a call and/or pauses (I hope it does).

As part of my request during my car purchase, I got the ipod cable at cost (MSRP was between $299 and $313; I got it for $220). Service for the installation was about $150.

19. Cate Ross

Cate Ross Owner of "Millenium Falcon"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got the accessory kit installed post-purchase--it ran about $500, so that's my Christmas present. It's better than crashing while trying to pull my iPod out of the armrest, but not perfect.

I can select between playlists, artists, albums, audiobooks, and genres. Once that is selected, I use the Tune button to run through the various items listed in each section. The name (of the song, e.g.) shows up on the top line, like it does when I play the radio.

However, there is a bit of a delay, and unless you know that the track you want is the 317th on you list of tunes alphabetically, there is a lot of hit or miss which is not ideal for driving.

It would be nice if there were a better display for the listings inside the category--on the iPod itself, you can see at least 10 or so titles at a time. On the MFD, you can only see the first 12 letters of one at a time.

Plus, I am discovering that since I had it put in, it's fouled up my BlueTooth connection. I reset the microphone volume, but it's still hard for people on the other end of the line.

And I just had my entire iPod memory wiped while plugged into the adaptor, so you can BET I'm going to the dealer to find out what's what.

20. jpadc

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone here who has the Toyota version sharing some of your experiences with it. Please keep the information coming as you learn more about it. A screen shot or two would be greatly appreciated.