1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Toyota FAQ statement on EV Button & Modifications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by efusco, Sep 23, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at #25 on This Updated Toyota Prius FAQ list

I THINK this was more to address the issue of those trying to convert thier cars to gridable hybrids and adding extra battery capacity mostly, but it certainly covers the addition of EV buttons. I'd consider it a scare tactic more than anything, but it certainly discourages those less bold from adding an EV button/switch.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: New Toyota FAQ statement on EV Button & Modification

I've added the bold for emphasis.

The "AND" in the first paragraph indeed suggests they are refering to the plug-in mod.

The empasized words in the second apragraph would not make sense if it refered only to the EV switch, since that is standard in the European and Japanese versions.

Their legal case would be very weak for voiding the entire warranty based on just the EV switch, but would be very strong in the case of the plug-in mod.

Still, I'm glad I put in my EV switch before reading this, as it might have made me even more nervous than I already was.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Read it again. It says switch, not button. It also says "AND" a switch. Also, "voiding" a warranty is not done by the supreme hand of the car gods, but happens when something deliberately damaging is done. (This is Federal Law under Magnuson Moss). The EV button is just taking advantage of something hidden, something that's already there. I just don't think Toyota would have a leg to stand on if they deny coverage. It's a Toyota part number! Installed via Toyota documentation.

Adding more batteries and forcing All-electric is a way different matter. The EV button ENCOURAGES all-electric mode, but doesn't force it.

Nate

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

switches come in many kinds and the one for the Prius is a momentary contact switch. That would be what their lawyer would point out and call it. It makes me think the mod from Costaltech is probably the way to go in NA as there is no damage to the dash by removing the Toyota switch in case you removed it before taking the car for repair. Just cut the wire off and remove the terminal from the computer plug and Toyota would be hard pressed to prove you had it in there. I doubt there would be a way to damage the car with the EV button installed, but you will probably need a lawer and that's money up front, just to fight them if push came to shove.

5. rerstad

rerstad New Member

I looked at the warranty booklet last night, since that should be the final answer. . .

Don't have it in front of me, but if I recall correctly, it said the warranty doesn't cover damage caused by alterations or modifications, including installation of non-Toyota accessories.

First, the damage has to be caused by the mod--Toyota would have to prove that, not you.

Second, how could the EV mod cause damage that would require a warranty claim? It's already there, you're just activating it.

Remember, making a mod doesn't void the whole warranty--it would only mean you couldn't make a claim for damage caused by your mod.

What Toyota says in a FAQ on its website has no legal effect.

I wouldn't (and don't plan to) worry about it.

6. JHartman

JHartman New Member

I'm curious as to how many people who have the EV button have bought (or intend to buy) the extended warranty. I'm still undecided and yes I know I still have two years. I did purchase it for the '02 not long after getting the car.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JHartman\";p=\"41448)</div>
    I have both.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Frank, I don't know what the warranty laws are in Canada, but in the US, the burden of proof lies on the party providing the warranty. They have to prove that you damaged the vehicle before they can legally deny a claim.

I'd worry more about a tow hitch then I would about the EV button. An EV button would not likely be considered inappropriate. It's like adding foglights to a car that didn't have that package. Just because that feature wasn't available in your package or locality doesn't mean it's not appropriate. Unbelievably, even cutting a hole for a sunroof doesn't void the warranty on your roof! It will make conditions caused by the sunroof/ foglights/ EV button unwarrantable. For example, cutting in a sunroof then complaining about a wind noise or water leak is not a warrantable condition. Taking your car in for an EV Button repair is not warrantable, either. Taking your car in for an EV related problem where upon removal of the EV button fixes the problem is not a warrantable repair.

I've seen Toyota honor all kinds of warrantable conditions that I would not have covered, and they were not legally required to cover. A catalytic converter destroyed by leaded gasoline on a 2002 Tacoma, coffee spilled on a seat belt computer on an 1989 Camry (turned into a campaign it got so bad), a manual antenna that flew off on a 1992 Camry, a cup holder on a 1991 Previa full of what appeared to be molasses (dried soda?), a seat cover on a 1992 Land cruiser (torn by fat lady sliding in and out).

How about the big ones out of warranty? Head gaskets on almost every V6 4runner and truck? Carburetors for 87-90 Tercels? Control Arms for Early 80's Tercels?

I've seen major components on an individual basis as well; engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials.

All of these were done with the blessing of the DSM. (District Service Manager). He is a corporate employee, Toyota wants customer satisfaction. This is why they are the number one car company, and why they will soon be number one vehicle company worldwide.

Nate

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While the legal burden may be on the car company to prove the mod caused the failure, the customer would have to initiate a lawsuit if the car company refused to honor the warranty.

On the other hand, it is clear that they could only deny a claim if the mod caused the damage. They cannot say, for example, that drilling a hole in the roof to install a ham radio antenna voids your brake warranty.

I am comforted by two things:

1. Darn few Toyotas ever need warranty repairs.

2. As Nate says, Toyota wants satisfied customers (unlike Ford, which was just as happy to see its customers burned to death in the Pinto).

I'm not going to worry about my EV switch. (And no, I did not buy the extended warranty. See my #1 "comfort" above.)

Toyota is covering its nice person by strongly recommending against modifications of any kind. And that's fine. Given our litigious society, someone's likely to have an accident and then sue Toyota because the accident was caused by their playing with their EV switch instead of watching the road, claiming that Toyota is at fault because it didn't warn them against installing mods.

The Prius Plus Project is another matter. Someone's likely to get electrocuted playing around installing additional 200-volt batteries.

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"41461)</div>
    I still think the biggest laugh I got out of the film Top Secret (a real favorite for the song and dance numbers -- and the underwater Bonanza-style fight scene) was the scene where the jeep careens out of control into the field and barely taps the rear bumper of a red Ford Pinto... which promptly explodes into flames.

11. dkim

dkim New Member

does anyone know of a place around minneapolis or iowa state where i can have my ev switch installed? the walser dealer said no, and some others weren't sure..is the switch all you need? some people mentioned mods, and i wasn't sure if i needed that too? thx everyone..

12. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"41277)</div>
    From the wording in the FAQ, I note that the conjunctive "and" is used in the question, rather than the disjunctive "or". Its seems to me that Toyota is saying that if you add batteries AND use a switch to run in EV mode they consider the warranty voided.

I suspect most people who have the EV button do not also have batteries added.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

It's a do-it-yourself affair. Sometimes refered to as a modification, or "mod." If you bought the kit from Costal Tech, that's all you need, to have the same functionality as the Japanese and European Prius, which have an actual button.

If all you bought is the button itself, that's another matter.

If you have the Costal Tech switch, and you don't feel competent to install it yourself, find any auto mechanic or radio repair shop that you really, really trust to be competent, and have them do it for you. It should take them 20 minutes to do. (It took me around 50 minutes, and I'm a total klutz.)

Remember that if you do any damage to the car while making the installation, the warranty will not cover it. If you fry the computer, you pay for a new computer plus installation. Etc. This is not a Toyota-approved modification. If you do it, you do it at your own risk.

Don't do it unless you understand the purpose and function of the EV switch and you are enough of a techno-geek that you really feel the car is not complete without it. (That's me, by the way. I love gadgets and there were times when I really wanted to be able to go into EV mode. I was very dissatisfied that Toyota had not included the EV button on the North American Prius. So I was willing to take the above-mentioned risk, and for me it was worth it. Now my car is complete.)

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, I don't know about you, but mine wouldn't truly be complete until we found a way to get the EV "idiot light" installed up in the dash as well :)

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, I'd like to have the EV light. But it's not an absolute necessity. If I could do it without risking frying the computer or drilling holes / cutting wires, etc., I'd do it. it was pretty risky just installing Costal Dave's switch, considering what a klutz I am, and I almost quit twice during the process.

See, I'm more interested in function than style. I can almost always tell when the car's in EV mode. The light would be more cosmetic than anything else.

If I had my 'druthers, I'd take an indicator of when the car is ready to go into Stage 4 over a light to tell me it's in EV Mode.

But if you ever figure out how to activate the light, do let us know. I suspect they just did not connect the light in the North American Prius.

16. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus

Did you check whether the light is actually present? That is, can you see its outline in (e.g.) direct bright sunshine? If so, it's a "simple" matter of finding how to wire it up. If not, then a harder job indeed.

17. dkim

dkim New Member

is the button enough? that's all i have..thx for the help..i'll look into coastal..

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tms13\";p=\"41973)</div>
    There is no cut out/light for the EV on the North American Prius...I've looked as have others.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dkim\";p=\"41978)</div>
    Sorry, not sure I understand the question or which question you're responding to. But, if you have the EV button it is all that is essential (aside from the connector pin and wire taps and such). The harness part isn't essential, but makes the connection a lot easier..and removable.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dkim: Check out Evan's instructions for installing the button, in the Knowledge Base. If you are comfortable making the dashboard modification and running the longer wires (a lot more disassembly required) then that would be the way to go. Otherwise, Costal's switch is a lot easier to install, and leaves no physical alterations to the dashboard.