1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new toyota hybrids

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by mandymou, May 30, 2006.

1. mandymou

mandymou New Member

i was at my toyota dealership talking to the customer service manager today, and she was telling me that the new hybrid models in camry and highlander with be gas electric not electric gas and will be getting close to the same mpg that the originals already do. i was just wondering if anyone else has heard this, i personally think that makes no sense what is the point of going hybrid if you still get the same mpg. wouldnt the emmissions be about the same too as the regular. i am waiting on a prius but i just thought i would thrw this out to see what everyone has to say

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the hybrid camry gets much better mpg than the standard camry- combined EPA is 40 mpg. the highlander does not get much better mpg than the standard, the hybrid system in that one was more to boost power output. that thing can FLY off the line though. probably out there to show people that hybrids are NOT wimpy little cars like everyone thinks ;)

emissions are in fact lower in both vehicles. the hybrid system is very clean.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]263140[/snapback]</div>
    Have you seen the new ad for the Lexus Hybrid? It goes 0-60 in 5.2 seconds! It's just as quick as the new Ford Mustang! I don't know what the mileage is but, I bet it beats the Ford.

4. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

A friend of mine who goes to school for Toyota said that the new Hybrid engines will be much better because it's gonna be Lithium. Faster charge, last longer, and use less gas. It's like the new cell phone batteries, 4 - 8 hour talk - 1 hour charge.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wish we could progress to the point where none of us feel
    called upon to "show" anything to anyone about vehicle performance.
    Who, for example, expects a fully-loaded semi to "fly off the line"
    or do the zippy holeshot-merge onto a highway? Who complains about
    it? Nobody. We learn different expectations about vehicles with
    lower power-to-weight ratios, and life goes on. All we need to do
    is extend that to more passenger vehicles, and back off and give
    each other more room to work. By marketing vehicles like the HH and
    the lexus, Toyota's still pandering to the aggression crowd just as
    much as any other maker. GET OVER THAT, and help start EDUCATING
    these people.
    _H*

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slimjimlim @ Jun 1 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]263910[/snapback]</div>
    Just what we need- a Prius that can talk for 8 hours! :lol:

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm.. Toyota taking 1 world wide. I don't think we have much room for lecturing them on their production techniques for hybrids. The HH is the same thing as the RX400h. 0-60 in 7 seconds. All cars provide a mpg improvement. I think they are running the performance like to see what the system is capable of. If they keep maxing it out car to car, it gives them valuable informationa bout aerodynamics, vehicle weight, gearing, and electrical components. Notice how every car is getting better mpg and being heavier and heavier with each model?

the GS hybrid is rated at 28, and the LS (weighing in between 5 and 6k) will get mid 20's... in a sense, a lot better than a mustang. (twice it's weight almost)

I wish people would stop complaining about hybrid performance. It finally makes big time and we have a bunch of cry babies on our hands. Let it go. Drink your starbucks and cry a little if you have to. To keep hybrids bigtime, you need to apply it to all makes and models. That includes trucks, performance vehicles, and fuel economy vehicles. In the end it all about a better vehicle

while we are on the subject, i saw my first Camry Hybrid the other day (on the road) ooo.. sexy car. :)

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mandymou @ May 30 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]263111[/snapback]</div>

Somebody misunderstands something. The customer service rep sounds like a nice person who has no idea what she is talking about. If this is what she actually said then she is there to schmooz, soothe irate clients and to direct potential buyers to more knowledgeable people.