1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New trend? Dealerships selling car insurance

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Oskar, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yesterday evening I received a call from the Toyota dealership reminding me of my 5000 mile checkup scheduled for later this morning. That was nice, but it was followed with a sales pitch on selling me car insurance. I was a bit taken aback and said I really don't want to be sold anything. The guy said the dealership had just bought out a local car insurance company and was offering services to its customers. Has anyone else heard of this? I've never trusted car dealerships based on a long protracted issue in 1988 with a VW dealership. Finally resolved in my favor. The dealership eventually folded. That was the last new car I bought until the Prius last year. I also had an issue buying a used car from a dealership. The owner tried to stiff me on some damage they did while prepping the car. I started to walk out and he quickly, but grudgingly agreed to take care of the problem. So hearing of a dealership getting into the insurance biz makes leery at best. Dealerships seem to have a big enough problem with image selling cars, can't imagine what that image would be if they end up selling insurance as well. I guess we live in an age where everything gets bundled.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. i didn't even know it was legal. insurance is highly regulated in this state. i assume he meant a broker, and not an actual insurance company. still seems like a conflict of interest though. agreed on dealerships, i buy cars reluctantly from them, and service as a last resort. i'm not enamored with insurance companies, but i like to keep my food separated on my plate.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    National Do Not Call Registry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a new trend at all.
    They've been doing financing and GAP for years.

I just buy the car.
    Sometimes I'll let the finance manager try to match my credit union's loan rate (they will almost never be able to) and nothing else.
    No extended warranties.
    No credit life.
    No etching/road service/bug guards.
    No groceries.

I don't buy a car from Geico, I don't buy insurance from a car seller.

#3 ETC(SS), Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I've never heard of it.
    I certainly wouldn't like it.

Last time I brought my car in for service I was taken somewhat aback when someone from sales tracked me down in the waiting area to tell me that they were willing to "Buy My Car".

When I'm at dealership for maintenance and service, that's all I want them to solicit.

Don't quite get...that they "Bought out a local Insurance Company"?

So what? Like "Bobs Insurance"?

No....I very much would pass. And the solicitation in of itself would perhaps have me looking for a different dealership for future work.

5. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Well, I don't know the particulars, and no one mentioned it to me when I brought the car in for servicing this morning. Of course, I didn't ask about it either. Still sounds odd to me, but all sorts of businesses are dabbling in other businesses these days.

Yeah, I too like my food separated on my plate as well. :)

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but if you tell them NOT TO EVER CALL AGAIN they should leave you alone....which is the point of the registry.

Me?
    I work in telecommunications. It's perhaps THE ONLY industry that I know of besides perhaps big cable that is less scrupulous than auto retailers.
    I manufacture and repair dial tones, so I sleep well at night.

I also have caller ID and Voice Mail.
    That means that I either know who you are when you call and (maybe) I answer, or you can talk after the beep.

Like the OP, I have trust issues with dealers.
    They NEVER work on my car, sell me parts, or render any service outside the time that it takes for me to sign papers at their showrooms when I pick up a new car.....unless all other means have failed.