1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New USB IPOD Kit DIY Install?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CaptPJB, Sep 1, 2009.

1. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Am thinking of getting the USB Ipod kit for my 2010 navi is the installation a reasonable self install or would the average "Joe" be better getting it dealer installed?

Also can anyone hazard a guess at what dealer install cost might be?

Thanks

Peter

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are people saying it's an easy install; running a cable from below drivers seat into the console. However, I think there was at least one post suggesting their dealer had to do a firmware upgrade after it didn't work right the at first. Not sure how easy that would be for a non-dealer.

3. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's extremely simple. It took me 1 hour in the dark. If I did it during the day it would take 15 minutes and i'm no car whiz

4. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scott
    Thanks for the comments. I just ran a search ( probably should have done that first!) and found the longer thread. There was mention of a video but have not found it yet.

Peter

5. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think it's that hard but it doesn't come with instructions. I would think twice about getting it though and read through the reviews here along with watching the YouTube videos I posted (and I'm sure others must have by now). Frankly, if I had spent any time with it before ordering I would have saved myself the money and stuck with the aux input.

An hour-and-a-half's labor ($95/hour here), although my dealer's service department overcharges for everything. (I've since changed to a different dealer.)

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine was dealer installed and doesn't work properly. I have both the sat radio signal AND iPod, and no access to iPod controls. Others have had the same problem. I just put my vehicle back in the dealer shop for them to sort it out tomorrow.

I'd recommend that you hold off a bit longer before buying the kit, at least until I report back on what had to be done to make mine work.

7. CaptPJB

CaptPJB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My understanding is that with the USB there is no satellite radio, must plug into the same slot or something. Anyway I will hold off ordering until you give an update on what your problem was.

I actually found an old FM TX Ipod adapter I had from several years ago it plugs in to the Apple connection on the base of my Ipod charges and transmits on FM and sounds surprisingly good. To my ears it is better than using the headphone connection at the top of the Ipod.

True I cannot use the nav screen controls but at this time it seems you can't either.

Keep us posted

Peter

8. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have both USB and Sat (although I don't listen to Sat)

9. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is not true with navigation...the satellite radio is not affected (the USB gets its own tab on the interface screen).

10. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The install is very easy and mine works great with a flash drive. My iPhone 3G will connect but won't stay connected. I have an issue open with Toyota and yesterday they told me that it had only been tested with the original iPhone and for me to prove that mine is broken I need to find an original iPhone and see if it fails. The iPhone interface, for the few minutes that mine will work, is pretty awful so not sure I will bother. For me the flash drive on the USB is worth the cost and effort.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    FWIW, I had the opportunity to plug an iphone 3gs into quatumslip's USB port. I also simultaneously plugged an iphone 3G into the aux port. We had them in there for several minutes and both seemed to work fine.

I agree with everyone else that the speed and sophistication of the interface could be better.

12. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found a website online that has the installation instructions posted in PDF format for the PT233-47100 kit:

http://www.longoparts.com/pdf/installation/Prius/PT233-47100.pdf

I wanted to post a link for those that are considering doing it themselves to see if the steps is something they are comfortable completing. It sounds like most dealerships are charging $100-200 in labor to install, so may be worth attempting on your own.

13. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed mine this moring in about an hour...No problems, works as I expected.

14. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am glad to hear it. I just placed an order today through my dealership for the kit. They quoted me $85 for the labor to install which I felt was reasonable so they will be performing the installation. The process seems pretty straight forward, but with others posting that a firmware upgrade was required I felt it best to let them do it.

15. Blackwlf

Blackwlf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I looked at the USB connection, and decided to go with bluetooth on my iPod Touch. I suppose I will have to use the charger if I drive for more than 15 hours. But then, I probably should rest me if I drive that long.

16. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: My Prius has now been at the dealership for a whole day. Their service department says they've been trying to reach Toyota about this problem ALL DAY without getting a response.

This is a pretty wacked situation and suggests that Toyota issued this part without sufficient testing. I'd strongly recommend that anyone considering purchasing the USB iPod adaptor kit postpone that move at least until after I get an answer from the Toyota dealer.

BTW, they gave me a Matrix as a loaner, and boy does it make me miss my Prius!!

17. mbastian

mbastian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When we first picked ours up with the ipod interface installed at the dealer it had the same problem. Sat + ipod playing at the same time and no ipod controls on the audio interface. The connection was an ipod connector in the glove compartment.

Then the dealer found out there was a "new" installation kit so they ordered that and installed it yesterday. Now the ipod plug in the glove compartment is gone and there is a USB port and aux audio mini plug in the center compartment; the USB tab has been added to the Audio interface and the ipod contents can be browsed.

The one major problem we've encountered is that each time we start the car the last track starts playing but it is reset back to the beginning of the track. That might be ok for 3 minute songs but we really only use the ipod to listen to audio books. The audio books are usually several hours per track so with it being reset to the beginning on each trip it is impossible to use it for audio books. You can't even fast forward through the track. It's a big disappointment especially since our old car had a after-market radio + ipod interface that remembered the last position and worked perfectly... and cost a fraction of the price we paid for this.

2 people like this.
  18. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you happen to know what the new part number is? I'll call the dealership right now and pass on this info. I'd like to get my car back ASAP.

19. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Use the seek button to fast forward through the track...

20. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is the connection trouble with the phone function or iPod use? I have disabled original iPhone. I upgraded to a 3GS. I think AT&T left the SIM card installed but the phone service was transferred. If it might help let me know. I don't get near Pine, I try to avoid Denver and places south, but maybe we could connect somewhere. --TK