1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Used Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SteveLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought my first hybrid and Prius yesterday. I had never driven one or even sat in one for more than a minute or two. I just got to the point every time I saw the dollars adding up on the gas pump I envisioned them with wings flying to oil companies and worse, over seas. I just had to start getting over 40 mpg.

I started some research a few months ago on the right hybrid/electric for the use of my family. I have been an admirer of electric/hybrid technology for a number of years and especially after watching "Who Killed The Electric Car" The Prius quickly became the obvious choice. I have lurked in this forum for the past couple of months and learned quite a bit about the car both good and not so much.

I've watched the local lots but in my mostly rural area there were few to choose from within the search parameters that I could afford and live with. My search began locally but quickly realized I had to expand to 100 and then 200 miles. There were still relatively few and by the time I sifted through the mileage, condition, color, equipment and price, I found one 150 miles away that really interested me. I asked questions and bargained over the internet and phone and made the trip yesterday to look it over, test drive, and make last minute adjustments to our deal.

The dealer is a non-commission, flat rate, consignment business in the Richmond area. I made the deal, got a really nice 2005 with 96,000 miles, in Driftwood Pearl, though it has some cosmetic flaws. Interesting thing is, by the time we made the deal it was nearly dark and we had to drive back 150 miles in on and off rain with no more knowledge of the car than what I got here and a short test drive there. Thanks guys. The dealer there knew very little about a Prius and couldn't add anything to what little I already knew. I wouldn't recommend this scenario for a first trip but the trip home was very pleasant for the most part and even exciting. Fortunately we began after rush hour traffic was mostly over. And running mostly 60-75 mph I averaged 51 mpg! Wow, that's what I'm talking about!! Thanks again guys.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome steve, all the best!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love that first 50mpg trip! It's so liberating! :)

JMD likes this.
  4. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    welcome and enjoy your "Toy"ota! Filling up your car will be a pleasure instead of a pain! Have fun playing the MPG game:D

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Nothing new about the dealer not knowing much about the prius... lol

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks guys. We checked the fluid levels before the trip home and the engine and inverter coolants were low. We asked about topping them off and they said they didn't have any. They called over to the CarMax store and was told to use water. I remembered that was not the right answer so I sent my sons out to find the pink stuff. They came through and a another possible disaster averted. I was really surprised with the acceleration of the 05. Not a race car, of course, but I saw some figures stating it is right there from 0-60 with the 3.0 Explorer I came out of. That just seems really impressive to me while getting 50 mpg. The drive train seems very solid and smooth. Did have to disable the reverse beep. Whew, thanks on that one. The lower front bumper on one side has a dented in area. I wonder if some heat like a hair dryer will allow that to be pushed back out. My cool factor has increased in the eyes of my sons I think; like the old man is still able to learn about some new technology after all, even a trail blazer since we are surrounded by friends with 4x4 diesel trucks and large cars for daily rides. I'll be glad to wave hello as I pass the pumps.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

8. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My first MPG was 46, I wasn't til I got worked in by my Prius did I learn how to drive her, now my average is 51 :). Dealers talk about people have to get their new car "worked in" just so it can be driven correctly, I got driven-in by the Prius. Anyway, you're already pro at driving Prius, welcome to the Prius family.