1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New User! need help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 2004prius, Apr 2, 2008.

1. 2004prius

2004prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    New Owner -2004prius...every other time i start up the prius, it goes directly to ig-on mode

Hi I just got a used 2004 prius...runs wonderful!... however every other time i start up the prius, it goes directly to ig-on mode... warning lights show up but some disappear after awhile. I press the on button and everything seems normal? is this a sign i should take into the dealer to get it serviced. or do warning lights show up and stay on if it is time for servicing...Mileage is about 42,000

thanks!
    newbie 2004

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi there, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:, 2004prius! What you're experiencing is not normal. If you're sure you're stepping firmly on the brake pedal, pressing the Power button deliberately, and not going to Ready (where the lights go off and you can drive away) you may have a faulty brake position sensor. I seem to recall that some early cars experienced this and there was a Technical Service Bulletin covering its repair. If there's a TSB it may be a warranty repair. It's not a difficult fix and should be done if that's the problem.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not directly related to your question, but generally helpful to owners of used Priuses:

If you don't already have both the owner's manual and the scheduled maintenance guide (they are two separate documents) buy them, either from a dealer or online at toyota.com. They can save you a lot of bother and expense.

4. 2004prius

2004prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    thanks guys! the brake pedal position switch is a bit finicky. but i have found the sweet spot where it always gets into the ready mode! love the prius!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad you found a solution, but you should get it fixed, just so you don't have to be finicky. It may just be out of adjustment.