1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new vs old, any way to upgrade the option package?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cjcathey2002, Aug 22, 2007.

1. cjcathey2002

cjcathey2002 New Member

Hey everyone,

I am new to the prius world, as my roommate just bought one in april. She bought new and already has over 12k on it. I also do a lot of driving, averaging around 500-550 miles a week. So the prius is looking very attractive right now. However i am still a little leary on buying a brand new vehicle as i have always bought used. I see a lot of nice Prius' selling for decent prices in the southern california area. But i must admit riding around in my roommate fully loaded version has me seeking out the navi, and blue-tooth features. Is there any way to add these features to a Prius that did not come set up initially for it? Is it even worth it, or would it be cost prohibitive? It seems like the general numbers for MPG is right around 50, which is more than double the 23 mpg i am getting now. Thanks for your help, and with any luck ill be in one of these by Christmas!!!

chris

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi cjcathey, welcome to PriusChat! It's very difficult to upgrade "package" options with Toyota gear. You could always buy third-party GPS and Bluetooth accessories for a Prius model that didn't come with those options, but the wiring harnesses in that car wouldn't support a Toyota nav or Bluetooth upgrade. The Prius is a great car, as most here will agree, but upgrades to a particular model are pretty limited.

But don't be tempted to buy more car than you can afford. Get what you can now, and save your gas money for a new model in a few years that has lithium batteries and plugs in to recharge... :)

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cjcathey @ Aug 22 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]500147[/snapback]</div>

You'll be getting in the upper 40s when you start out and once you master P&G you can easily get upper 50s to low 60s - that's when it gets real satisfactory!
    Anyway, to answer your question, if you want built in Navi aftermarket, it would cost you too much money. You could get a Magellan or one of the cheaper ones for as little as a couple of hundred bucks off Ebay, second hand. It'll have to hang off your windshield and wont'be as pretty, but still does the job (in fact better than the stock Navi, since their CD hasn't been updated in over 2 years).

4. alg

alg Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cjcathey @ Aug 22 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]500147[/snapback]</div>
    hi Chris,

First of all, you are lucky to be in California as that seems to be the hottest market with the best deals on Prius. For example (from the hours of reading this forum):
    07 Prius Basic + Pkg 2 best price $20,700
    + Pkg 3 $23k
    + Pkg 4 $23.5k
    + Pkg 5 $23,988
    + Pkg 6 $24,975

07 Prius Touring
    + Pkg3 $24,800 out-the-door
    + Pkg6 $26k

You have to really be honest about what would be nice, cool versus easily upgraded. From reading here, the JBL Premium upgrade is not so hot. It would be hot if it was only $200 upgrade as it was when I bought my 07 Corolla S.

Bluetooth can be easily handled with a less expensive device. I prefer to use my Blackberry's speakerphone and still rely on the old wired head piece if really necessary.

The Toyota Navigation system looks cool but again, there are better (regular updates, tied to traffic systems) and less expensive solutions available from several sources including: Garmin
    Tom Tom

Leather would be nice. Some dealers charge anywhere from $1200 to $1700 for dealer installed (they hire an upholstery shop). You can hire the same upholsterer for about $700 to $900. Or be different and get Wet Okole which slip on easily over the seats and give a way different look.

Going with the Package 2 will save you money that you can use on modifications, upgraded tires, TRD suspension or even buy the Toyota Premium 7yr/100k miles extended warranty.

good luck,

Al