1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Walmart - Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Catskillguy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I have brought the Prius to a few different Walmarts, and they have been fine.

They recently opened a new one near me. I took my wife's car there a week ago for her change. (I started changing my Prius myself, but in 20 degree windy weather, no garage, I don't think so...). Anyway, except that an hour after opening, and no 'manager' had been able to come open the doors at the Tire & Lube express an hour after opening... forcing me to walk about a 1/2 mile to get in.... they did a good job.

Well, I went to the service desk, told the Asst Mgr.. make sure you only put in 3.5 quarts.. OK, no problem.

I get the car back and drive home. I look at the ticket, and see "4 Qts Mobil 1". I suspect it's just standard what they put in. BUT, after letting the car sit awhile, I check the dipstick. ARGHHHHH, it's at least a pinky over the 2nd dot!!!!

Now, do I go back there and wait 1+ hrs while they get to my car, or brave the cold ground and drain some out myself. After some debating in my head, I decide to drain it out myself.

So, I go up the ramps, crawl under the car.... oil drain pain, wrench in place. I notice some oil around the drain plug. Sloppy work? BUT, I suspect worse. As I remove the plug, it's confirmed... NO CRUSH WASHER!! Well, out from under the car, to the shed where I have a couple of Toyota filters with their included crush washer. Back under the car I go, then do a rapid plug remover, washer on, plug back in with my hands now well lubed. It did drain enough to get it 1/4 inch or so below the top dot.

Unless I have no other way, I am always changing my own oil, cold ground or not!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should also call the manager up and give him a piece of your mind. Sure, you could fix their mess. But I never would have been able to. And why should you pay for such shoddy work on top of NOT doing as instructed?

Then again, I wouldn't have my oil changed at Walmart either. I'd rather run it dirty until I could take it someplace else.

3. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Feb 12 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]389214[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if you want to spend $22 for an oil sampling pump you could use that to pump as much oil out of the dipstick tube as you want. I got mine at the local Caterpillar dealer.

I've only used it once to sample the oil that had been put in the ICE though.

Dave M.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Feb 12 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]389214[/snapback]</div>
    It might have been easier and less messy to just unscrew the oil filter and empty it. I learned the hard way one time helping a friend whose car was overfilled by a quart or so. Hot oil, fingers, and a little metal drain plug make for a great comedy experience.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Feb 12 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]389214[/snapback]</div>
    I am a biased dealer of course, but why would anyone take a vehicle to Wal-mart or Jiffy-lube to get serviced. The people who are working on your vehicle are for the most part dealership rejects. We put in at least a couple of engines a year that have been ruined by the local Jiffy-lubes and Wal-Marts.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) Gotta throw in a "Dealer" comment... POSITIVE

I have a Dealer Service Department that does an excellent job. My previous Prius (2004) was serviced with them for over 2 years. At 10K miles on the '04, I changed to Mobil-1 5W30 and took in 3½ qts of oil to prevent overfilling. I never had an overfilled crankcase. They were also good to follow my "by the numbers list" to the letter, including the tire pressures I requested. Needless to say, they will be servicing my 2007 Touring Edition when service is needed.

If you live in the Dallas TX area and want a recommendation, send me a PM.

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 13 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]389581[/snapback]</div>

OH, yeah.. I forgot that other annoyance. I forget to tell them leave the tire pressure alone... and they lower it down to sticker levels.

Yep, last time for me at Walmart

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will NEVER go to Walmart for an oil change again. When my wife and I did a 9600 mile roadtrip last year out west I stopped at the Walmart in Pocatella, ID for an oil change, they said no problem, and I waited around/shopped for an hour. The manager paged me, and I thought that meant they were done with the oil change, when instead he told me they WOULD NOT change my oil because my car "was modified". He said it is their company policy not to change oil on any "modified" cars. :rolleyes:

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is why I always change my own oil, no matter what. Even dealerships screw it up. I am amazed at how many people won't do something that is so simple yet if done incorrectly can ruin an engine. It's one of the few things owners can do themselves.

Not to mention how many places take your money for an oil change yet fail to do it. http://www.nbc4.tv/video/9152183/detail.html

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 17 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]391972[/snapback]</div>
    I take mine in to get the oil change, partially because I don't want to do it myself (although I have in the past on other cars), partially because it's $32 including tax, so not particularly expensive, but mostly because the dealership gives me the receipt on it with the milage recorded, so I can put everything in my files.

When it comes trade-in time, I can pull out the entire folder detailing everything that's ever been done (all on-schedule), and push for better trade-in value.

(Late 2008 I'm guessing :)

11. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Franchise & Chain Lub stores, Now Hiring:

Test:
    Question 1:
    They show you a screwdriver, a hammer, a chisel and a wrench and ask the question:
    “Which tools will you use to remove the oil drain capâ€

Accepted answer: Just point to any of these tools.

Question 2:
    The customer asks for 5w30 but you have run out of it, what do you do:
    a. Ask the customer if he wants an other grade
    b. Use whatever you have on hand
    c. Do not change the oil and say you did

Accepted answer: b. or c.
    Best answer: c.

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A Fumoto valve would be nice to have for a situation like this, though admittedly those that use it are most likely do-it-yourselfers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Feb 17 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]392068[/snapback]</div>
    Though I'm a DIY'er with oil changes, I can easily document them: all oil purchase receipts and a computer report listing dates and mileages of changes. If someone still questions it (whether for warranty issues or sale/trade-in), for each oil change I can produce dated digital pictures of the odometer and the car with the front end raised, drain pan beneath it, and oil bottles, filter, and tools sitting next to it. Maybe the pics are overkill, but they're quick, easy, and hard to dispute. Heck, based on Catskillsguy's experience, that may be BETTER evidence than a Wal-Mart receipt!

13. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 17 2007, 06:51 AM) [snapback]391972[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is scary.

14. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Feb 17 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]392068[/snapback]</div>
    A receipt still doesn't prove the work was done correctly. I have never received less for any vehicle where I have changed the oil myself. I keep my own hand written records.

If a service department incorrectly does the oil change and your filter comes off or they don't change the oil at all and your engine blows.......who will come get you when you are stranded out of town some rainy holiday weekend night? This happened to me. Sure I got money in the end but for the first few weeks I had to spend my own money for other arrangements, not to mention my time.

Oil changes are easy to do and take only minutes to complete. Doing it yourself is good insurance and peace of mind.

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :angry: That VIDEO is scarey!! One reservation I have about dealer service departments is the "insulation" existing between the Tech who actually does the work and myself. For over 20 years, I have been dealing with an Independent Mechanic who has proved himself reliable and honest; however, his shop does not have a Prius-trained-qualified technician, and I'd have to add that when he changed the oil in 2004 Prius [now traded up to a 2007], he did overfill it and I had to remove about ½ quart.

Now for the other side of the coin... I have found an excellent dealer service operation. They do not try to sell me unwanted, unneeded service, they follow my 'by the numbers' request for service using my provided oil [3½ qts Mobil-1 5W30 to prevent overfilling], they provide the tire pressures I request and return my Prius freshly washed. Computer re-flashing and other warranty work has been done promptly [after all, Toyota pays them 'book' rates so they're not 'doing me a favor']. I did not buy either of my Prius from them.

Theft is theft is theft. JiffyLube should be fined heavily and operating licenses suspended when fraud can be proven.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH has had the unfortunate experience of working for unscrupulous places in the past. (and was even suspended for insubordination for maintaining his ethics!) one of the reasons he's so happy at his current shop is that he has never once been asked to do anything unethical.

unfortunately, unethical practices run rampant around the country.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Charles, you gotta get your local independent to go to one of
    our training sessions and then he'll eat, sleep, and breathe hybrids.
    _H*

18. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Feb 12 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]389214[/snapback]</div>

19. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not dealer biased. However, some shops are better than others.

I have had Wal-Marts and Jiffy Lubes screw up oil changes dating back to the late 80's on my Buicks and Chevys back then. These were carb cars--relatively simple. However, they still managed to screw them up.

Honestly, stuff happens. The best places are the ones that make it right afterwards!

20. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    why are you going to walmart for anything... period?????

I guess you didn't hear about how they were using illegals here in NJ for cleaning crews and working them 60 hrs and more a week with no OT or benefits......