1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New way to use EV mode to increase MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been around here for a bit over a year and I don't recall seeing what I am going to propose in this post.

I just recently installed the Coastal EV mod. I merely pull on the Cruise Control stick for 2 seconds and the Prius will go into EV mode. I had just filled up my tank last night and on the way home tried something new.

First some general background. We all know that mileage gets kicked in the butt when you first accelerate from a stop. Very low mileage readings of below 10 to 20 mpg are typical. Even lower.

So I asked myself what if I got into the habit of turning on EV mode whenever I was at a stop sign or stop light. Accelerate lightly so it wouldn't get kicked out of EV mode and enjoy the increased mileage until you hit 34 miles per hour. At 34 the EV mode will automatically be cut out. This is controlled by the Prius. Three beeps are heard and the ICE (internal combustion engine) will turn on. But at 34 mph and above the engine will be working much more efficiently than from a complete stop. I noticed a huge increase in mileage immediately. After the engine starts the battery immediately starts charging again but the hit in mileage required by recharging is nothing compared to the hit in mileage starting up from a complete stop.

Is this what everyone has been doing with their EV modifications? Or have I stumbled into a new use for it? I tried searching for this here but could not find it. Because we have complete control when it can be used the only limitations are when the EV mode is available for use. And the Prius will tell you if it isn't available.

So, if we can reduce by a major factor the amount of time the ICE is used from a complete stop I would reason that it would provide the user a huge improvement in mileage.

Would love to hear some feedback about this.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]280552[/snapback]</div>
    I have not tried this as it is opposition to how I believe EV mode is best used :) That said, I DO something similar leaving a parking lot where the chances of the ICE running to warm up while I wait to get on the main road are high.
    Generally, I save the EV for flat sections of road where the car would go into EV on its own if I had the opportunity to stop the requisite 6-10 seconds (Stage 3??). The other time I might use it to increase mileage is where I know I will be recharging it because the next section of my trip is downhill or over 42 MPH. Since there is not all that much capacity in the hybrid battery, I figure it best to use gas to get to 30 MPH then electric to maintain the speed. In the summer, the car does this all on its own. In the fall and spring, sometimes I need to force it. In the winter, it can sometime be so cold the car won't allow EV even if I have the climate control turned off.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought of it also and decided not to do that due to HV battery life. I think HSD design allows it to do that. The fact that Toyota allows up to about 15 mph in normal mode kinda indicate that they want to extend HV battery life to the life of the car. Otherwise, they would've program it.

Hopefully with Li-ion battery, the next generation Prius would go up to 34 mph with pure battery power in "normal" mode.

Dennis

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been doing pretty much the same thing as bruceha_2000. I cant tell either way if it improves or decreases MPG but all I know is my MPG keeps going up. :D

5. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    usbseawolf2000:

I used to worry about HV battery life as well. In fact, I was totally against getting the EV modification at one point. But after I learned that the bottom of the battery scale on the MFD is actually just down to 40 percent of TRUE state of charge I totally changed my mind. Toyota has already taken into account battery life within the constrants of the normal state of charges it uses. So, I figure why not use it to increase mileage in this new way. I would not use the battery to increase mileage on flat surfaces but only when starting up from a stopped condition. At least that is the current thinking.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yay- so you did the mod! :)

i kinda do the opposite in terms of gas engine vs electric motor usage. i try to accelerate with gas and get it up to speed asap (well, within reason) and then coast on electric.

i kick over to EV when i'm coasting to a stop sign or during the first section of my regular commute when i reach a stoplight about 60% of the time and don't want the car to be sitting and warming up that whole time.

bottom line is, you gotta do what works for you. this sounds like it works for you since you're seeing increased mpg. and since everyone's philosophies on driving strategies, ev mode, coasting, etc differ somehow, we're going to see the smattering of opinions that we're seeing here.

so, more power to ya! :) and let us know how it works long term.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]280562[/snapback]</div>
    From Panasonic EV site, they gave example of life cycle for battery cell used in Prius. They referred to as "Pulse Cycle" and we never really figured out what a Pulse Cycle actually mean. Is it dischage/charge cycle between 40% and 80% SOC? We don't know but after 9,000 Pulse Cycles, internal resistence raised to the level similar (judging by slope of the graph) to 150k miles or life time of the car. The more you use EV mode, the faster you are going to use the Pulse Cycles for sure. Also note that after 150k miles, the HV battery pack is still in a great shape so there are plenty of life left to spare. I guess it will be up to each individual on how they use their HV battery pack. See graphs below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dennis

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]280562[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah! I remember your snotty anti-EV mode comments now! :) Great to see that you've been assimilated! I do what Galaxee does... I use relatively agressive ICE firing to accelerate (according to the pulse-and-glide camp, this is the best use of the ICE - NOT cruising at low power levels). I mostly only use EV mode for low speed vehicle shuffling in my garage and driveway when I'd otherwise have to suffer through a cold start each time.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]280562[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. What turned me around was reading that the EV software would prevent the Prius from going into EV mode (and drop you out) if the conditions weren't right.

Keep an eye on your mpg, if you abuse the EV mode it'll decrease as the ICE needs to run to recharge the batteries.

10. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good comments so far. Thanks!!

Yes, I will be experimenting with it more and will provide further feedback. I really enjoy the bantering back and forth on issues like this. I feel we are still on the cutting edge of this stuff. And whether your method or mine is better is not the point. The important thing to keep in mind is we are working together to achieve a common goal. Heck, if my idea falls on its face I could care less because we all still learn something.

I'm glad you remember my snotty remarks darelldd. hehe :p It's all in fun. I have to keep telling you that I am totally in awe of your experience with all electric vehicles. I hope we all will be able to do that someday. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience darelldd. And for that matter everyone else too. It is what makes PriusChat what it is.

Cheers

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jul 3 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]280602[/snapback]</div>

Brownnoser

12. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe a little bit grasshopper but after reading his web site I really do want to go electric only myself and rid the use of gasoline. Don't we all? Sorry if I somehow offended you grasshopper.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is my considered opinion that the method in the OP is the best possible way to decrease your mileage. That is, to burn more gas. The reason for this is that the gas engine is most efficient when it is delivering a relatively larger amount of power, and the electric system is least efficient when called on to deliver a lot of power. The reason for the latter is the conversion inefficiency.

My system, like galaxee's, is to use EV for slow-speed steady-speed driving on a level or downhill road. As I pull up to a stop sign I disengage the EV so as to use the gas engine to accelerate to speed, and then engage EV again. This eliminates the inefficient use of the gas engine at slow, steady speed, substituting the efficient use of the electric system for low-power-demand situations.

Notice that my system is much like what the car does itself if it is properly warmed up: It uses the gas engine to accelerate, and then goes into electric mode for the steady-state driving. This is the most efficient use of the electrical capabilities of the car.

The suggestion in the OP is exactly the opposite of what the car does if left to its own devices. Do you really think that Toyota got it backwards?

Improper use of EV will not harm the car, because the car protects itself and will disallow EV mode if conditions are outside its parameters. But you will burn more gas. Probably not a lot more. But more.

Another good use of EV is when you know you are coming to a big downhill. Use up the charge that will be recovered on the downhill, so as to create more space for that recharging.

14. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the EV when coming home at the end of the day to run the battery down. Then when I start next day the ICE can charge the battery as it warms up.
    I do not know if this affects fuel consumption but in theory it should increase milage because the ICE has to run anyway to warm up.
    Any comments on the technique?

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    360, I expect that if you keep doing this long-term, your perceived
    increase will start dropping off and possibly even go the other way.
    You've got a system that's very good at coupling 72% of the engine
    torque straight out to the wheels, allowing you to NOT have to
    convert into and back out of electric power, but you've heard all
    that before. Yes, please do keep us posted, especially if you get
    time to do consistent/controlled comparison testing...
    _H*

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 3 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]280694[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel is exactly correct. Using EV for acceleration is undoubtedly the least efficient way to accelerate given equal rates of acceleration in most cases. That said, if you're crawling in traffic, ie slow accel, decel, slow accel, decel etc. cycles. it takes more energy to spin up the ICE for those very brief spells of accel than it does to just use the battery/MG alone. But if you plan to accelerate from a stop to a cruise speed for even 20-30 seconds it is clearly MORE fuel efficient to use the ICE/MG combo of the normal mode.

Seeing those high mpg numbers is very misleading...it takes exactly the same amount of energy to accelerate from 0 to 35 whether you use the ICE or the electric mode and any energy you drain from the battery will eventually have to be replaced with the ICE and that means lower mpg later on. Somewhere along the way you have to "pay the piper", and with the inherent energy loses when the power goes through the inverter, to the battery, from the battery back through the inverter you have to pay the piper some interest as well!

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 3 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]280711[/snapback]</div>
    I was recommending this technique in the fall of 2004.

But it mainly applies in cold weather. In warm weather the engine warms up so quickly that it seems unnecessary.

18. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hear and understand each of your comments.

BUT (you knew that was coming, right?)

I have always thought that stop signs and stop lights are the worst inventions with regard to mileage. Each time you come to one a typical car or truck needs to push thousands of pounds of stuff from a dead stop to whatever speeds are for that location.

I am going to go through what happened tonight as an example of why I believe this discussion needs more thought.

I was at a stop light. I knew I had a couple of miles until I would stop again. I put the Prius into EV mode. Instead of getting the typical 8 to 15 miles per gallon upon accelerating I note that I am getting 99.9 mpg. The battery goes down one or two bars for this acceleration because once I am up to street speed of 30 miles per hour I then manually put the Prius back to normal mode. If I hit 34 miles per hour the Prius will automatically disengage EV mode. The engine engages and I note the engine is now charging the battery. By the time I am at the next stop light it now is back to full charge again (ok, 2 from the top). I arrive at the next stop light. I stop. I again engage EV mode and the whole thing starts over again. Note that if I had not engaged EV mode from the first stop light I would have still noticed a charge cycle because I am going slightly uphill. So, in this situation I find myself with increased mileage because the typical 8 to 15 MPG degradation is replaced with 99.9 mpg.

Please note judicious use of this method is required. I am not saying that each and every time you come to a stop light or stop sign is reason enough to use this technique. (well yes I did in my first post in this thread) Upon reflection, I am merely stating that it can be a useful addition in your arsenal of mileage techniques which, I haven't seen discussed before.

Note that in this example I would have had similar charging whether or not I had engaged EV mode or not. That, I believe, is a key point. So comparing mileage between using or not using EV mode in this example results in a significant and useful increase of useful mileage.

I hope I have cleared up aspects of this that I may have not made clear at the beginning of this thread.

Note, I totally understand you have to pay the piper. But in this circumstance (and I am finding many places to apply this) when you have to pay the piper (charging the battery) whether or not you use EV mode or not (after a stop light), then I believe it is reasonable to conclude that using EV mode is a sound alternative.

Any thoughts?

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you're in EV mode and the display says 99.9mpg you are NOT actually getting 99.9mpg You have to pay back that burn at some point. I understand what you're saying and the technique you're suggesting, I'm telling you it is less efficient.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're still relying on a perceived short-term gain. Most people
    manage traffic that way, too, racing up to close a gap, and look
    where that gets them -- massive traffic jams, and *later* arrival
    at a destination.
    Drive some loop one way, and then drive it again the other way, and
    compare. Make sure the loop is long enough to cancel any effect