1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New wheels for my Pri

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by crayola, Feb 25, 2009.

1. crayola

crayola Junior Member

I am getting tired of the stock wheels. So here are the wheels that I am looking at:

Rota Attack 15x6.5 10.0lbs $450 CAST
    Motegi Tracklite 1.0 15x6.5 9.9lbs $900 FORGED
    Volk Racing CE28N Eco 15x6 10.1lbs $1400 FORGED

I think I'll go with the Rota's. I don’t think the cost for saving another 1-2lbs per wheel is worth the extra $150 or per wheel. I tried to do some research about the strength of the light weight cast wheels and I have only heard about stress cracks on the larger size wheels. So I think I am pretty safe. Comments please. Cray :cool:

2. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's some big bucks there.

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Rota Attack is a great, light budget wheel. There was a batch of Rotas a long time ago that had issues with them cracking, but the new ones should be fine.

My only concern about them would be the width - a 6.5" wheel really needs a 205 width tire to fill it nicely. A 185 width tire will be a bit stretched. A 205/60 15 tire should fit nicely, and only be slightly smaller in diameter (less than 1%) so any speedo calibration issues will be negligible.

Unfortunately, you'll take a bit of a fuel economy hit with the wider tire unless you are very careful with tire selection. Use TireRack.com to help you find a tire - they list weights for all tire sizes. For example, the Bridgestone RE92 is a fairly low rolling resistance tire that only weighs 19lbs in the 205/60R15 size. For comparison the Michelin MXV4 in the same size weighs 23lbs. Stock size (185/65R15) the MXV4 weighs 20 lbs.

So if you're trying to keep things as light as possible, stick with the stock tire size. I've seen a number of tires that weigh 17lbs in the stock size - not sure what their rolling resistance is, though.

4. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am also trying to find a nice set of chrome plated mags for my '08 Prius. I have heard the scion wheels are the same. I am running 195/60R15 tires. I have not found a decent site for the wheels I want. A chrome set similar to the factory wheels is fine as I am not into an exotic wheel. I just want a nice 5-8 spoke wheel. The original width & offset specs would be nice also.

Any help appreciated.

5. crayola

crayola Junior Member

Here are the wheels I was considering putting on my Pri. The picture show 4x100 but they are available in a 5x100. I also plan on reusing the stock tires. I should be able to save a few pounds while giving the car a unique style. By the way my car is white.

[​IMG]

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What offsets do they offer and what do you plan on getting?

Orange on white will definitely be unique. :)

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do you also need new tires also? if so i would just get 16" wheels and tires.