1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New winter wheels or work on old ones?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johnsmith009, May 13, 2019.

1. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My winter tires are kind of crap. They're rusted black steel and I believe cheap tire? I think they performed pretty poorly this winter, but I'm no expert.

I tried fixing up the rust and after maybe 3h with a drill and steel brush I got most of it off, except for the entire outer rim since the brush can't reach. At this point I'm planning on giving it to professionals because it honestly seems like beyond my area of expertise since they look horrible, maybe it'll be better when painted.

Someone told me it'd be cheaper to buy new rims except, mounting tires looks pretty hard. Would it be better to just buy whole new wheels?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An aftermarket steel wheel for Gen3 or Gen4 size are ~$50 each. You may find cheaper ones if you look for used, but usually if they have to ship them, you won't be saving much. If your winter tires need to be replaced soon, you can price tires and wheels as a set. Most on-line tire place have free mounting and balancing. Sometimes alloy wheels on sale are cheaper than steely. Check Discount Tires online, I bought my alloy wheels and Michelin Xice snow tires as set for less than $500 total including installation hardware, mounting, balancing and shipping.

Edit: Whoops, I see you are in Canada. I am not sure Discount Tires will ship to Canada. You may have to source on-line or local tire shops for your local.

#2 Salamander_King, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah maybe just recycle the old rims and get new.

Before putting them on: wax them. And every time they come off, wash and wax them. Don't scrape any curbs, be careful not to chew them up with impact tools. Also, pick up a gloss-black touch-up paint. Then they will last, longer than you want, lol.

I got these for $70 apiece, new, through a CDN dealership in 2010:

Corolla 15" black steel rims p/n: 42611-02471

As part of a snow tire install package. I'd suspect there wasn't much mark-up on the rim, most of the profit was on the tires.

#3 Mendel Leisk, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey you are in Ontario like me just outside the GTA.

If you plan on buying new black steel wheels, I would suggest buying new steel wheels when you decide to replace your winter tires. Some tire shops offer winter tire packages which include both hubcentric wheel and winter tire and install/mount/balance is free. Popular examples in the GTA include Tires23 and SimplyTire. Buy it in the fall and you can combine it with a tire rebate from the manufacturer.

It is pretty hard for the steel wheel to rust to the point that it is no longer useable. I don't know how much rust you have or the condition of your wheel but you would have to evaluate whether it is still safe. In my case, I simply sanded off some of the rust and repainted the steel wheels using rust primer and 2-3 coats of black glossy rust paint spray such as Rustoleum. The new paint would slow down the rust from spreading further. There are youtube videos of people doing this. The painting process was easy but it was quite a bit of more work than I expected.

Other people, like my co-worker simply drives on the rust wheel. It just looks ugly.

#4 Siward, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Attached is a photo of my tires before. I got most of the center rust off, but it's the walls and crevices in the second picture that I cannot get to at all with a steel brush/drill. DSC_0229~01.jpeg

Besides I'm storing these in my trunk so I'd like to send them off to a tire store storage unit asap, and quite frankly I don't even think I can find an area where I can paint these. I would need a huge tarp and going after hours to a large parking lot is my only guess, though I've already spent 200 on a drill and the results aren't looking good.

Would you now say it's new tire time?

Attached Files:

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah simplest might be to recycle those, get new. Again: a lot of dealership offer packages in early fall, with a steel rim (usually 100 compatible) plus snow tires. I get the sense they're making a decent profit on the tires, selling the rims close to their cost. The Corolla rims I mentioned are one option: maybe that's what Toyota dealerships in your area would use?

7. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Should I recycle the entire wheels? Or try to save the tires?

If we're looking at below $500 for rims and winter tires I'm fine with tossing these if your think it's a good idea.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How old are the tires, and how much tread depth remains?

I was kinda assuming you got them in 2010, but maybe they're younger? If they've got 7~8 32ths tread depth still they're good for a season or two. The cut-off for effective snow traction is maybe 6/32".

Age is a factor too: tires gradually dry out, and cracking can get pronounced around 9~10 years. Varies a lot though.

9. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As far as I can tell, they're 2010. I bought the car used.

Also if I were to take the tires out I'd have to pay for taking them out, about $20, then when I get the rims $20 to put them back on, then $80 for storage, but if I buy the rims early another $80 to put them back in storage again or ride with them until winter...

Is it really that much of a waste to do the whole thing?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It hinges on the remaining "life" in those snow tires I think. If it's borderline, and considering the rusty rims, consider:

1. Purchase replacement rims in advance.
    2. Wax the bejeesus out of them.
    3. Purchase replacement snow tires, and bring along the new rims as well.
    4. Have them dismount the old tire, and mount new tires on the new rims.

They'll very likely do that for no extra charge, compared to regular tire swap on the same rims. They'll also for sure keep the old tires no charge. Every time you buy tires there's an enviromental levy tacked on, to pay for this. At least there is in BC, I'm assuming guess, but I'd suspect Ontario is similar.

They'll probably be willing to dispose of the rims as well, though not sure. If not, there's very likely local places you can drop them off. In Greater Van one outfit I know of is called Happy Stan. They'll take items like old lawn mowers, barbecues, tire rims, basically anything with lots of scrap metal, as long as it's not too difficult to deal with.

Should be something similar in your neighbourhood. I wouldn't doubt there's even some outfit that collect rims specifically, has the resources to refurbish them: acid bath or something, prime and repaint.

I think one clue to your rims condition is your mention of "storage". Your $80 probably gets you just that. They get taken off, filthy/salty, and sit, for eight months...

If you can manage to DIY storage, have a house with driveway, garden hose etcetera, consider storing them at your place. If you wash and wax them, apply touch-up paint as needed, they'll never get in bad shape.

11. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Edit: I see you meant at the place where I buy the tires. Alright, I'll do my best.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe.

Rims can probably be fitted into the rear and passenger seat foot wells. or just atop the wheels in the hatch, with some carpet scrap spacers. Here I am, on the way to Costco last fall, getting the OEM rims reshod:

IMG_9695.JPG
    (Plenty of room still, lol.)

#12 Mendel Leisk, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    RMB and Johnsmith009 like this.
  13. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can order a set of wheels with whatever tires you want right from tire rack. Will mount and balance them and ship them to your house..

I also like Discount Tire.. if you have those in your area.
    About $45 per tire for regular all seasons. with the warranty which is pretty good .
    You will still need new wheels... Though.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tirerack shipping and duty (and the exchange rate) to Canada makes it not that attractive so far.

15. Johnsmith009

Johnsmith009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not to mention you can't see/get a feel for them in person either!

Mendel Leisk likes this.