1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New with questions... Don't worry I am not to newbish not to search couldn't find it though

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by blackknight008, Mar 26, 2008.

1. blackknight008

blackknight008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey whats new to the forum just saying hi and asking a few questions I couldn't find by searching.

I am going to black out my headlights on the sides and top where the chrome is useless and makes my black prius not as blacked out as I would like it to be. Has anyone here done it? Any drawbacks? I was looking at it and I think the headlights are held on by clips instead of traditional glue? Not 100% sure because I haven't taken my bumper off yet to actually do it.

Emblems I have searched for awhile unsuccessfully looking for either a black toyota emblem or a place with custom black lettering. If anyone knows where to find them I would greatly appreciate it.

I will have pictures up in a week or so with some new rims and the small system I am putting into it; hopefully with blacked out headlights ;)

Thanks again in advance....

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good luck with you project. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Make sure you take really good pictures of the process of taking the headlights apart. Your pics will surely be used as a tutorial for the rest of us.

3. blackknight008

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yea I'll make a DIY when I get around to doing it next week, hopefully there are no complications that I have yet to forsee lol

4. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck on the black headlights project! I did that on my old 2000 Hyundai Accent years ago and it sure was a pain to open the headlights due to the glue. The new non-chrome headlights really made the car look very nice and got lots of attention everywhere I went. I'd really like to see how it comes out. :D

5. BearSilber

BearSilber New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd love to see some good pictures of this. I just picked up a new black package #4 myself. I'll looking for ways to improve upon it (not easy to do :eyebrows: ). I'm going to add mud flaps, the rear bumper protector and a few decals, all-in-all it should add about 5 bhp!

6. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you're in San Diego, a friend of mine works at a shop that does color chroming...they had a Lotus in there while my Prius
    was getting done getting yellow chrome emblems

he also showed me a website that sells precut film for the head and tail lights that comes in either clear, charcoal or smoke...about $60 for front and $55 for rear or something like that

8. blackknight008

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I already blackout the emblems but the problem is that with spray paint they chip really easily even though I put 7 coats on lol, 55 or 60 for just the precuts? thats pretty expensive you should be able to find them on ebay for like 30... and if i tint the front lights with vinyl then I might lose visibility with my lights so I figure i might as well just take it apart especially since I just got new silverstar lights for my headlights and I have to take off the bumper as is to install the stupid things

9. blackknight008

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So I did it and it turned out pretty well I will write a DIY up this week when I figure out how to get these pictures off my phone