1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New X Prize(s)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rflagg, Oct 8, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...socialsolutions

The X Prize Foundation and the World Technology Network announced today the formation of a joint venture to launch a series of technology incentive prizes to help spur innovation and breakthroughs in a range of scientific arenas.

The creation of new X Prize awards follows the success of the twin SpaceShipOne flights that snagged the $10 million Ansari X Prize purse. However, these are focused on other arenas, such as medicine, environment, energy, nanotechnology, and informatics.

One thing to note of particular interest they are proposing as an X Prize:

1. Transportation: Demonstration of a 4-seat vehicle able to achieve 200 miles per gallon in a cross country race

-m.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its too bad they didnt include other areas like one of the biggest things that i think hampers progress the greatest and that is a computer system that is truly user friendly.

we are making ever so slow progress towards that right now, but lately i think we have gone away from user adaptability and gone towards piling on features whose true usefulness is often questioned or misunderstood.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

They are still in the public suggestion phase - feel free to go to their website (I think it's factcheck.com?) and suggest anything!

-m.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    another thing that i deal with on a daily basis is how to manage the mountains of data my company collects. sometimes trying to figure out exactly what the purpose of half the info we gathered can be daunting.

we constantly find trends after the fact but didnt know to look for them before hand. iow, we have become adept at finding excuses for how things happened after they have happened when the ultimate goal of computing was to be more prepared and informed of a situation before it jumped up a bit us in the hiney.