1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Year's Day -- BFD

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 1, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, so it's New Year's Day and people make a big deal out of it. Not as much of a deal as the Christmas Festival of Greed or the 4th of July, but lots of people are talking about "new beginnings" and we know a lot of gym memberships will be purchased by people who will use the gym twice and then quit, and a lot of people will resolve to go on diets that will last a week, etc.

And in the end, what is New Year's Day anyway, but the anniversary of a totally arbitrary start day for a totally arbitrary calendar? Calendars are useful for making appointments and tracking history. But the start day was pretty much pulled out of someone's rear end. Basically we inherited it from the pagan Romans. Maybe they thought it was the winter solstice. Maybe it actually was the winter solstice in 42 B.C.E. and it drifted until Pope Gregory finally got the length of the year close enough to keep the solstices and equinoxes from drifting noticeably. I think I'll go with that. So really, January 1 ought to fall on the winter solstice, or perhaps the day after (making the solstice the last day of the year).

It might make sense to make renewal resolutions on the day after the winter solstice if you live in the northern hemisphere. (Our friends in the antipodes need their own calendar, so they could begin their year on the day after their own winter solstice, which is our summer solstice.) But doing it on January 1 is just plain stupid, assuming you're even going to keep your resolutions, which nobody ever does.

Happy New Year's Day, everybody. May 2012 bring you good health, lots of money, and wild monkey sex. (That's what I'm wishing for, anyway, though as the saying goes, you can sh!t in one hand and wish in the other and see what you get more of. Yet, I'm still wishing for health, money, and sex. -- My health is pretty good so far, I have all the money I need for the time being. It's that third one that's so elusive.)

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope you'll get down and dirty with the monkeys, soon. You always sound like you need it. :p

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    totally agree, but i feel that way about all holidays. went to bed last night at 10:30, went to church this morning like every other sunday and watched the football game with my wife and 90 year old mother in law. it doesn't get any better than that!:D

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Praying for you D... Happy New Years.

Great start to the new year here... -20F and crystal clear skies. Family health is great and the house is warm. Doesn't get much better than that.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    -20 :eek: 50f here today, gotta luv climate change!:D

1 person likes this.
  6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't share much of anything any more, at least we still share New Years. And since it's pagan, religion isn't a divisive force as it might be on other holidays.

For me, it was the opportunity to drink a bit of champagne and cook a meal with my Mother.

This arbitrary celebration—as you put it—was the catalyst for a real one. One which we probably wouldn't have made together otherwise, just because life can be so busy and the days and weeks and months blend together and the year slips by.

It was a chance to look back for once—instead of looking forward, as we do all through the rest of the year—and be thankful for what we have.

That's good enough for me.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, there's change in tax rules and beginning of a new year of (slightly more expensive) health insurance (at least for me), so it's not entirely without importance.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tend to agree with the whole "BFD" perspective and even somewhat with the failure of most people to maintain the bulk of their resolutions.

But I choose to look at the observation and anticipation of New Years with a more Taoist approach in which we try to wipe away the scars of the previous year to start with a fresh P'u and a clean outlook. Granted, even a dabbling Taoist would start each day with a clean slate, but for the rest, a once-a-year approach is a good start. (Much like those who make a big deal of Valentines Day even though they should be loving each other all year round.)

Additionally, there is a psychological benefit to hope. The hope for a better year than the last, the hope for new beginnings and even the hope for a Cubs-winning World Series. Even if all previous attempts have failed, there's always the uplifting hope of future success and the dream of a better day to keep people motivated.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good luck, i hope theo brings you someone better than john lackey and carl crawford.:eek:

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe it's the fact that the only immediate family I have left is my brother, but holidays really don't have much meaning for me anymore. I would have to second the BFD sensation from my stand point. And that even includes the fact that my bday was yesterday. What did I do for it? I worked on (and failed at) a small plumbing item to help prevent standing water in the outside water pipes for the silcock out front. Then, I sat on my butt and watched football. Ironically, I felt exactly the same as I did when I was 29 yrs 364 days old as I did yesterday at an even 30 yrs old.

I think I'll join Daniel in the 3rd item he's hoping for. Really, it's great exercise, and you always feel good afterward.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Happy Birthday! We are your family. :)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never celebrated my birthday. or any day for that matter. and i have too much family. mostly on my wife's side.:eek:

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    People seek routine, and when they have it they hate routine. New years celebrates the irrationality (or contradictory nature) of man.

Enjoy what you can out of it. I'm just sorry to see it devolve in drunkeness.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i ran into some neighbors down the street when i was out walking today. they were bragging that they were still trying to recover from new years eve.:party:

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I treat New Year's as sort of a benchmark in my life and those I know. I've tracked my time at the 5 mile Los Gatos Resolution Run for the past 15 years. It's interesting to see who shows up, who doesn't, and how well we all do.

Ten years ago I managed a 9 minute/mile pace, while this year it was 13 minute/mile. Four years ago all I could manage was a 16 minute mile, and skipped even trying for 2 years. This year I was a few minutes faster than last, while reaching a heart rate of only 177 as opposed to 186 when I was actually slower.

One friend who's usually there with her husband came by herself. I don't even dare ask her how things are going, as his doctors are running out of things to cut out of him. She's slowing down, but still faster than I could reasonably ever expect to run myself. Several other friends who are usually there didn't show up.

Since it's an out-and-back course, you get to see everyone who's ahead of (and behind) you. The obvious winner was this young guy running what must have been a sub-5 pace. He was literally several minutes ahead of a pack of about 5 equally young guys. I was at the border between the walk/joggers and the walk-onlys. A friend who was helping with the finishing board pointed out that I could win the 70+ age group in 3 years by just finishing. Last one standing wins...

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy New Year's to you too, Eeyore. :p

Yeah, it's all arbitrary - light and dark, Summer and Winter, life and death - who's to say where one really ends and the other begins?

True, it would make more sense to celebrate Solstice than letting your life be ruled by numbers on a page. Think of it as looking forward to longer, warmer days, and more hiking. That should be reason enough to feel better, whether you call it Solstice, Christmas, or New Year's :)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    about four more months in these parts.:(

18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks spidey. Ironically, I tend to fit in better with some of the people here than those in my own family lol.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sadly I understand what you mean.