1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New York’s hybrid buses prove their worth

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    February 7, 2008 A government report has shown that the new Orion buses in New York City cost 40% less to maintain and 24% less to operate than earlier-generation hybrids.

The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) evaluated the performance of New York’s second-generation Orion VII buses from February 2006 to January 2007. The buses studied were compared to the city’s first-generation Orion VII buses. The buses in the study incorporated several improvements to the hybrid electric propulsion system, in use in New York since 1998. Factors contributing to the performance improvements included a simplified cooling-system design, improved battery diagnostics, and better training of mechanics.

Full Article

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I was in the city last week, besides the hybrid buses I also saw several Ford and Nissan hybrid taxis as well. Didn't see any Prius taxis, however.

3. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ride one of those buses to work every day. They are quiet, have great pickup, and produce minimal exhaust. The only downside is that they have less room for passengers.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

I took it at JFK airport.

Attached Files:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member