1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New York Times Part 2

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Below is a letter from the Secretary of the Treasury to Executive Director of The New York Times. Yesterday I posted a topic related to the NY Times publishing the "SWIFT" program and got few takers. Does anyone here think the NY Times should be investigated and prosecuted if warrented. Does anyone here think those that leaked this information to the NY Times should be punished?

Color me mad about this whole thing. Al-Qaeda does not have the capability of obtaining information that the New York Times continues to publish. Mind you this last episode may be the worst of all of them - I wonder if these authors will win the Pulitzer Prize for this story too?

What say you? ... And now the letter...

Dear Mr. Keller:

The New York Times' decision to disclose the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program, a robust and classified effort to map terrorist networks through the use of financial data, was irresponsible and harmful to the security of Americans and freedom-loving people worldwide. In choosing to expose this program, despite repeated pleas from high-level officials on both sides of the aisle, including myself, the Times undermined a highly successful counter-terrorism program and alerted terrorists to the methods and sources used to track their money trails.

Your charge that our efforts to convince The New York Times not to publish were "half-hearted" is incorrect and offensive. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Over the past two months, Treasury has engaged in a vigorous dialogue with the Times - from the reporters writing the story to the D.C. Bureau Chief and all the way up to you. It should also be noted that the co-chairmen of the bipartisan 9-11 Commission, Governor Tom Kean and Congressman Lee Hamilton, met in person or placed calls to the very highest levels of the Times urging the paper not to publish the story. Members of Congress, senior U.S. Government officials and well-respected legal authorities from both sides of the aisle also asked the paper not to publish or supported the legality and validity of the program.

Indeed, I invited you to my office for the explicit purpose of talking you out of publishing this story. And there was nothing "half-hearted" about that effort. I told you about the true value of the program in defeating terrorism and sought to impress upon you the harm that would occur from its disclosure. I stressed that the program is grounded on solid legal footing, had many built-in safeguards, and has been extremely valuable in the war against terror.

Additionally, Treasury Under Secretary Stuart Levey met with the reporters and your senior editors to answer countless questions, laying out the legal framework and diligently outlining the multiple safeguards and protections that are in place.

You have defended your decision to compromise this program by asserting that "terror financiers know" our methods for tracking their funds and have already moved to other methods to send money. The fact that your editors believe themselves to be qualified to assess how terrorists are moving money betrays a breathtaking arrogance and a deep misunderstanding of this program and how it works. While terrorists are relying more heavily than before on cumbersome methods to move money, such as cash couriers, we have continued to see them using the formal financial system, which has made this particular program incredibly valuable.

Lastly, justifying this disclosure by citing the "public interest" in knowing information about this program means the paper has given itself free license to expose any covert activity that it happens to learn of - even those that are legally grounded, responsibly administered, independently overseen, and highly effective. Indeed, you have done so here.

What you've seemed to overlook is that it is also a matter of public interest that we use all means available - lawfully and responsibly - to help protect the American people from the deadly threats of terrorists. I am deeply disappointed in the New York Times.

Sincerely,

[signed]

John W. Snow, Secretary
    U.S. Department of the Treasury

2. wstander

wstander New Member

I agree that someone in the 'guvmint' needs to be investigated and hanged for leaking this information (the gallow pole next to the one holding the VA data disk theft will do)

As to the NY Times and other media, they will print any thing that they get. In this case, they broke a promise, which in this day and age, means nothing, sadly.

Yes, investigate, but I am not certain that the NYT can be held legally responsible for printing the story.

Every one in the media wants to be Woodward&Bernstein and get that Pulitzer, no matter what the damage to others may occur.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 27 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]277447[/snapback]</div>

Thought so... NO takers - I guess we all agree that the NY Times should be taken to task on this one. Seems to also be the pulse of the American public. Absolutely TREASONOUS.

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a question for both sides here.

I've been away from the news for a few days here when this broke and am trying to catch up so I'd like to hear from both sides on this issue. Right after the 9/11 attacks, there were several rather high profile cases where people/organizations were busted due to the government tracing money transfers to known terror groups. These cases caught quite a bit of press at the time and nothing was implied that the monitoring of money transfers was any kind of seceret. My question is, is the program reported on by the Times something different than the original?

The second part is something I heard but not in great detail. While I was at the Rapid City airport with my head berried in a couple gate computers, the MSN monitor was carring a story about this. Someone was saying on the broadcast that the people we were trying to chase down was already aware of this long before the story broke in the paper and were using other means to move money around. If this is the case, should there be all the hype this has been getting?

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 27 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]277462[/snapback]</div>
    There is little doubt that a full investigation by the DOJ should be launched. The NY Times as you see in the letter i posted ignored pleas from all levels including the President himself and members of both parties NOT to print this. Who made the NY Times judge and jury over my security?

I wonder if the NY Times gives a group discount for Al-Qaeda members?

There is a responsibility that goes along with the 1st Amendment of what should be printed to - Americans are also granted the Right to a collective security as well as a Freedom of Speech - here the balance was OBVIOUSLY tilted by the NY Times - those involved should be taken down - TOP to BOTTOM.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They can start investigating the NY Times just as soon as all of those in the PLAME leak case have been prosecuted and start serving their time.

Now...who is it we declared war against again? No country. No Government. Oh....those that attacked us? Osama Bin Laden then. We declared war against him. And how is that going?

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]277528[/snapback]</div>
    Stay focused here.

Just comment on the NY Times busting open their third "secret" program in under a year. I guess that it does not bother you in the least that they keep letting the cat out of the bag. Is there anything the NY Times should not publish? Or should they publish everything they get their hands on - even though the President, members of both parties ask them not to - even though it was vetted independantly by several layers of lawyers, the DOJ, Treasury, International bodies??????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jun 27 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]277515[/snapback]</div>
    DIFFERENT PROGRAM - Read about it and see for yourself.

VERY DIFFERENT PROGRAM that had worked and netted a biggie Al-Qaeda guy recently.

That is why all the HYPE - the NY Times was asked by everyone not to publish it - anyhow read about it and form your own opinions.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Far Left media in this country could care-a-less about the harm it does to the US. It's almost a game to them remember when the Marines were going ashore in Somali? The media rushed down to the beach with their lights and lit up the landing craft and then the men as they tried to deploy on the beach. Now they have revealed to the terrorist how the higher echelon leader was caught. So they don't have to guess they can go back over their tracks and pick up their mistakes and eliminate any operatives that the CIA had out there gathering or tracking these transactions. They have also curtailed any country wanting to coop with us on covert missions cause we can't keep a secret. So all of you saying no big deal they already knew are a bit short sighted.

Even with all that I still don't believe that we should prosecute cause the SOB's will use the legal system to gather more information to reveal to our enemies.

The best we can do is boycott anything to do with that rag. . .

Wildkow

p.s. Here's another bit of hyprocisy. The New York Times shortly after 9/11 called for implementation of the exact program they are hollering about now.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]277528[/snapback]</div>
    I understand you're not serious with this challenge, but for posterity's sake, I'll answer it.

We declared war against global terrorism, with overwhelming support from liberals, conservatives, Democrats, Republicans and Independents. We passed sweeping legislation to enable the government to use expanded domestic surveillence on residents in the form of the Patriot Act. The only vote against the Patriot Act was cast by Sen. Russ Feingold. The only vote.

Like the "Cold War", the Global War on Terror is not against a single entity or person. That concept was said so many times that people "got sick" of our officials stating it. They should have repeated it one more time.

If a country supports terrorism, as the Taliban did in Afghanistan, it is the policy of this country to confront them. This is to prevent them from killing more Americans, which most of us think is a bad thing. We want more Americans to live, and not jump out of burning buildings. We want Americans to live, and not have their throats slit as they kneel in the aisle of an airplane as a "lesson" for the rest of the American passengers to sit back and just wait as they fly into a building.

We have identified specific countries that support and aid terrorism ... Iraq, Iran, Iraq and North Korea were specifically mentioned in January, 2002. I suspect everyone clapped except for Sen. Feingold, but I don't know for sure. It certainly sounded unanimous when the joint session of Congress stood and applauded wildly. In case you missed it, here's the section of the State of the Union speech:

From the very beginning, it has not been solely about OBL. He has his day coming, if not in this life, then as my Jewish friends say, "may his name be blotted out". It has always been about a widespread conspiracy and plot to kill ME and put YOU in a burka.

Here's the thing: it is now officially our policy that if you try to kill us, we will hunt you down and kill you. If you support those who want to kill us, we will hunt you down and kill you too. So don't try to kill us, and don't support those who kill us.

Libya got the message. Iraq has the message. Syria appears to have gotten the message. North Korea and Iran still have to go to school, it appears. But maybe they'll get the message too, if we don't "turn tail and run".

In case anyone really asks "what country did we declare war on", refer them to the last 5 years of American history. Perhaps they were asleep.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Russ Feingold for President!

11. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

A stronger, less watered down nation would determine that we have declared war on terrorism in the world... Our soldiers and military are engaged in war with the terrorists... And, that helping, supporting, or being a terrorist is treason.

A stronger, less watered down nation would start holding some trials for treasonous acts and start using some of that rope we have in the warehouse.

A weaker, more watered down nation (France, for example, maybe the USA) will probably just sit back and wait to be wacked in another 9/11 style attack from the terrorist enemies who are being helped and supported by these traitors.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 28 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]278000[/snapback]</div>
    I would argue that france who has turned a blind eye towards their muslim population has more serious threats than getting whacked by a "9/11" type of attack - although muslims account for 10-12% of the french populous, they account for over 40% of all french live births. the most common new born male name in france has been for the past several years - mohammad! They have also failed miserably to assimilate these people into their cultures - another cue for us to use on what NOT to do.

at current rates france will be a muslim nation around 2050. and france is not alone in this wicket - europe has had a negative population growth rate and has had to rely on muslim immigrants from their former colonies to support their societies basic needs and functions. i think we will see them shift towards making up that population deficit with people from eastern europe now and close the doors to muslim immigration - hence why Turkey was not given membership in the EU.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]277528[/snapback]</div>

Very well, thank you!

No one has managed a 9-11 style onslaught since we took the war to radical Islam. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 28 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]277946[/snapback]</div>

Why!?

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 28 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]277946[/snapback]</div>
    "During those first few hours after the attacks, I kept remembering a sentence from a case I had studied in law school. Not surprisingly, I didn’t remember which case it was, who wrote the opinion, or what it was about, but I did remember these words: “While the Constitution protects against invasions of individual rights, it is not a suicide pact.†I took these words as a challenge to my concerns about civil liberties at such a momentous time in our history; that we must be careful to not take civil liberties so literally that we allow ourselves to be destroyed."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 28 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]278021[/snapback]</div>
    Good points! :D

15. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]278033[/snapback]</div>
    I seen that line of "reasoning" show up a few times now. You actually believe that is a basis for any sort of position :lol: ?????

There have been two 9-11 type attempts in all of history on U.S. soil. The first WTC bombing which wasn't very successful and 9/11. 9/11 is the only one that can really be considered an attack of any significance. So 2 attacks in 13 years. The most significant of which occurred while Bush was President. And you manage to somehow equate that impressive database to anything whatsoever :blink: :blink: , much less that "Bush is protecting us". Gee, I'm convinced you're right.....

16. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ Jun 28 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]278093[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm,

I notice that I responded to 2 separate posts, yet my responses were put together in to one.

The second answer "Why" was addressed to Godiva's offer of Russ Feingold for president.

The 2 comments were mutually exclusive.

Yes, I do believe that by taking the fight out of the USA and in to Afghanistan and Iraq, that those who would harm US soil are otherwise engaged in fighting elsewhere; ie: Iraq. And, as long as there is a wedge between Iran and Syria, that is also a good thing. This is not fact, only my opinion.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ Jun 28 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]278093[/snapback]</div>
    You propose we sit still and let ourselves get hit again? Maybe you think we should let Iran develop a nuclear weapon and than take it from there too. I guess because no one has yet to successfully attack us with one we need not worry?????

Imagine if Clinton actually went after them after WTC I 1993 - MAYBE we could have prevented 9/11? HOw about if Clinton tapped international phone call or examined financial transactions - you think we could have caught em b4 9/11. How about if Clinton did not build a freaken wall between the CIA and the FBI - maybe no 9/11?

And you mention WTC I - not successful you say -- well I consider the murder of 6 Americans and the wounding of over 1,000 pretty significant - and it did show us what we were up against, no??

I guess when someone comes up and punches you on your nose and fractures it - you will ask why he did it - maybe he was an abused child - then he hits you again - and you sit back and do nothing - he hits you again, and again -- when do you stand up for yourself.

What if we pre-empted Hitler instead of doing the Democratic cut and run and appeasement play - world might be a different place?

The fact that we have not been hit is proof enough for me. Your style of averaging out attacks is complete messed up - you think that 3,000 Americans being murdered every 10-12 years is ok. Well what if the bad guys up the ante and start using WMD's???

The PRIMARY duty of the POTUS is to PROTECT and DEFEND - not to respond to Americans being murdered by enemies foreign and domestic.

Wake up!

18. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 28 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]278109[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 28 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]278109[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry accidental reply above.

As to your comments, you are extensively overreaching and reading in WAY TOO MUCH. I was simply stating that you can't draw conclusions from 2 data points in 13 years! I see people trying to do that (the same comment has shown up in several threads) and it just gives me a chance to totally discount anything further that commenter has to say. It is such a completely baseless and flawed line of reasoning that anyone who buys into it can't possibly be capbable of rational thought. Thats all.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think we could have taken a different road. That road could have protected us from further attack without eroding our personal liberties, driving us into obscene deficit and killed our youth. An added perk would have been not making the U.S. the poster child for hate in Islamic countries and Stupidity in the rest of the world.

Russ Feingold seemed to be the only one thinking with his head in a time of great emotion. He put that above gaining points for re-election or an emotional response, even if it meant being personally attacked by those that don't agree with him. If the guy also doesn't cripple the budget with mounds of pork he'd get my vote.

(Nothing like a good war to send those profits through the roof. I have to wonder how many politicians were thinking exactly that when they waded into a "war" with an unfocused enemy that wasn't thought out completely. A great weakness of U.S. policy is failing to see beyond the next fiscal year or the next election. Failing to consider all of the ramifications. Exactly where are we going to be in ten years? The Japanese have a long range plan. Toyota has a long range plan. That's why there is a Prius.)

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ Jun 28 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]278114[/snapback]</div>
    Please clarify for me what you propose we should do as a country after WTC II aka 9/11? Also, would you allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons?

I did not mean to overreach on my interpretation of your post. This will help me understand your position better.

Thanks