1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New York wait period

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by edge2276, May 20, 2004.

1. edge2276

edge2276 New Member

I put a refundable deposit on a new prius and was told it would take in excess of a year, possibly two to get the car and it may be a 2006 model. I am from long island New York. Does anyone know if this is the typical wait? If not could someone let me know of any dealer's in New York where I might be able to find a shorter wait period? Thank you.

2. sullivka

sullivka New Member

I think a lot of people have been getting estimates of one year. I ordered in Nov, 2003, and just learned yesterday that my car has finally been allocated (for a wait time of just over 7 months by the time the car arrives). I am in eastern MA, not far from Boston. I think the suburbs cause longer waits because of the high concentrations of commuters. More rural dealers might be able to provide you with a car faster.

If you're willing to make the three-hour drive, I've heard that Norm Wagner Toyota in Lunenberg, MA has a much shorter wait (1-2 months, but you might need to be flexible about color/package).

Good luck!

3. edge2276

edge2276 New Member

I will have to think about whether i want to go to MA. Thanks for the advice. I didn't even mind waiting up to a year. I got concerned when I was told in excess of a year possibly two by the dealer I ordered from and when many of the dealers in the area refused to take any more orders.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i'm on long island and was also told over a year. i ordered another one from a dealer in west virginia and it looks like i will have mine in another few weeks, or about 2 months from when i ordered.

5. edge2276

edge2276 New Member

That is good news, I'm really going to have to consider going to MA or possibly looking further upstate NY or even at a different car. If I thought the wait period would be approximately one year I would have no problem waiting, but I don't want to wait two years. the dealer's quote of 1, possibly 2 years seemed like a very vague estimate. I would hate to wait a year on the list and find out I have to start all over again with another dealer because it may take another full year before my order comes in.

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

in all fairness to the dealers, they are not in control of how many cars they are getting. that's why they can't say how long. if they knew for a fact that they would get 3 cars a month for the forseeable future, and have 36 people on the waiting list, then your wait is a year.

but what is apparently happening is they might get 2, then 3, then 1, then a 'bonus car' and stuff like that, so that while they might be able to accurately tell you how many people are ahead of you on their list, they can't say when they will get all the cars to fill the orders.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Also, people may be on multiple lists and drop off if they get one and not tell the dealer. Or they may give up and get another car and not tell the dealer. Or they may 'pass' on a car that doesn't meet their requirements.

It's a mess, and there's no way a dealer can tell who's really even 'on the list' until they get a car and start calling.

8. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also looked on Long Island back in December, I was told there would be a wait close to a year. I shopped around and placed my name on the shortest list I could find (19) in southwest CT. I got the call to pick the car up at the beginning of Feb. I didn't want any package and this car came in as plain as they come. No one wanted it before me so I got it immediately, it was even my color choice (salsa red).

9. edge2276

edge2276 New Member

I just called Norm Wagner Toyota. I was told if you want a base model it could be as little as a month, but it could be eight months or more for one of the higher packages. the salesperson said he has one order since November that still has not been filled.

10. Medved

Medved New Member

Here in Cleveland, their has been a person waiting since November as well for a Black #9. Two, came in on the carrier between 5 p.m. last night and 9 a.m. this moring. One of them being mine! I've been waiting since Feb 2nd. I plan to take delivery on the 24th of May (Monday) WhooHoo ! :clap:

11. eg239

eg239 New Member

That's odd... they told me they were getting mostly higher-end packages...

12. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

I also heard it depends on your dealer. If a dealer does good in sales, Toyota will put them on priority list first. If they don't, they are low priority. My salesman was getting awards every year for over 20 years for highest sales. They got 11 Prius on Wednesday. I only waited 1 month technically. But never really showed interest when I first talked to him in early April. He still put me on the list with no deposit down and no $300 price increase. That's customer service!