1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb Questions. Certified vs warranty, '10 vs '12?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by P1Ally, May 25, 2013.

1. P1Ally

P1Ally Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all!

I'm looking to purchase a new to me Prius like ASAP. For my own peace of mind, I need a GOOD warranty. I was considering buying a certified Prius, with the extended warranty. I could also buy one that's still under factory warranty (less than 36k miles and 36 mo) and buy an extended warranty by itself. Would that even work? Would it carry over to me as the second owner?

Also, are there any major advantages getting a '12 instead of a '10? I plan on getting one with the sunroof and backup camera, and if I can do that with a 2010, it'd be cheaper. (This would have to be certified, because it's more than 36mo.)

Thoughts?

2. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's an excellent question and one I've pondered myself! I think it comes down to budget as a main point. As you mentioned everything about a 2010 would be cheaper and you wouldn't be paying the majority of the depreciation on it to get a higher level of vehicle.

That being said, lots of other people on this forum have done what you proposed by getting a Prius that's still under 36,000 miles and buying an extended warranty. If you go that route, be sure to do a lot of research on what dealership to buy it from. Another advantage to certified is that, at least in my region (Cincinnati), Toyota Financial has been offering 1.9% financing on certified vehicles for months.

Good luck!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010s are more likely to have problems than the 2012. The 2012s have some nice updates like Entune, front grille and DRL. If the cost difference is not too significant to bear I would get the 2012.