1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb Questions RE mileage and 30k mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusdimple, Feb 18, 2010.

1. priusdimple

priusdimple New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hello,

I have a 2008 Prius with around 37,000 miles. I had no idea we needed a "30k mile service," and now I'm worried that something might be wrong with my car. Is the 30k service necessary? It's SO expensive!!

Also, I know that an annual average for a car is 12-15k, but I'm averaging about 20k a year....is that bad for my car? I get frequent oil changes, and i think my car is in good condition...aside from the fact that i drove it off a tall curb once.

If anyone could help me out with my questions, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!! :cheer2:

2. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See the "sticky" thread at the top of the Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting section called "What Services You Need and What You Don't".

30,000 miles is an oil change, a tire rotation, a new air filter and cabin filter (both of which are easy DIY projects requiring no tools) and perhaps a cleaning and adjusting of the rear brakes. That's it.

Dealers frequently try to sell you unneeded services to separate you from more of your money. Don't fall for the scam. Do ONLY what the service manual says you need to have done -- you should have gotten a copy when you got the car.

If it breaks, of course, that's a different story. But as long as the car is running OK, just do what the service manual says. Save your money.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto Vic. Every dealer sells "X miles/Y months" service packages that charge you for more stuff than any one car needs. To save money read the Scheduled Maintenance Guide that should have come with your car (1). If you did not get one, find the same info here:
    Toyota Parts and Service

Hand the appropriate list of stuff to the service writer and tell them to do only that.

(1) along with the Owner's Manual; if you didn't get an Owner's Manual, buy one from a dealer

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Only folks who drive enough to save on gas what they paid extra for a hybrid tend to buy a Prius. So we all tend to be driving a lot. (My Prius is 11 months old and has 27,000 miles on it) So long as you do the recommended service in your manual, you should be fine. The link Vic gave you should have extra services beyond what Toyota recommends if you feel guilty.