1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newb with wheel questions..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LOWRCO2, Sep 4, 2007.

1. LOWRCO2

LOWRCO2 New Member

I'm a newb to this forum and have a few questions. My 2008 #2 will be here next week, so I am told. What do you guys do to correct for different wheel/rim/tire sizes? I had a Dodge Charger R/T and all I had to do with it was use my Superchips programmer to change tire/wheel size. I like the Kazera KZV's 17" but I don't want the speedo to be off, and the mpg readout to be affected. What do you guys use to correct for this? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks Josh!

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LOWRCO2 @ Sep 4 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]507024[/snapback]</div>
    I can't help, but welcome to the site.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In more than a year here, I have never seen anyone being able to reprogram the car to compensate for nonstandard tire/wheel sizes.

Everyone just tries to choose a tire close to the Goodyear Integrity's 855 revs per mile.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Sep 4 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]507058[/snapback]</div>
    The 855 revs/mile specification is not too hard to find. Here are some examples:

1. 205/45-17 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 - 856 revs/mile
    2. 199/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2 - 852 revs/mile
    3. 205/50-16 Michelin Alpin PA2 - 863 revs/mile

And, my personal favorite:
    4. 205/60-15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - 850 revs/mile

Admittedly, I am biased toward Michelin tires; but other brands have similar offerings that are close to the 855 revs/mile.

5. sfbmw

sfbmw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am told the goodyear assurance are a much better tire.

6. carolb777

carolb777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HELP! Yesterday I bought my first, much wanted Prius. It is a 2007 ,package II. I am looking for some info on the tires. I read on a web sight , Highbreds.com the tires on the Prius do not last very long. One fella claims to only get 12,000 miles on a set and another said he has replaced 2 sets of tires by 20,000 miles. I called the dealer where I bought mine and talked to the the service manager there and he claims I will be lucky to get 30,000. My KIA has 36,000 miles on it's Kumho tires and they still look very good. This really surprises me. Why are the tires so bad on a Prius and is this even true? What should the air pressure be kept at? The book says 35# in the front and 32# in the rear. People at the web sight are saying 42 and 40 is better, the tires last longer. What is your consensus?

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The original Integrity tires are not very durable and not very good in snow. 42/40 might make them last longer and it definitely improves MPGs. When they wear out replace them with Nokians, Kumhos, Michelins,... Assurance Fuel Max is a very good non-winter tire.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was running 45psi in the Integrities. I didn't want to take them any higher as I didn't like the handling. Harder tires also provide better wet traction. Even at 45psi I got some edge wear indicating underinflation.

Soft tires wear faster.

In my case the tires outlasted the car.:(

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the tire pressure at at least 34 for all four tires. They can be set all the same; the front tires don't have to be higher unless you want to buy all four tires at once. As for keeping the pressure at 40 I think that is way too high. Sure you'll get slightly better mileage but the ride will be more bumpy and you won't wear the tires evenly- the middle treads will be worn more because it is overinflated, so you'll end up buying new tires sooner. I have never inflated mine past 38 and I have not bought any new tires (on my 2006 prius) after 40,000 miles. And I get 53 mpg strong, too.

How often you buy new tires (and how many at a time) depends on several factors; miles, if you get your tires rotated, the tire pressure, what kind of roads you mostly drive on, etc. Above all most technicians seem to differ in how they measure tire treads and wear. I've had my treads rated low but the next 5000 miles the guy rates it OK. There's no way treads can INCREASE over time unless my tires are magical, so it's not a perfect science. I'd say you can go at least 40000 miles before you need a new set. Like I said, that's been the case on my other 2006. Hope that helps.