1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbe: Did I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Patricia Wynn Norman, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Patricia Wynn Norman

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, folks I'm "settled." In the Gen 3 group, I posted simple facts about my problem with Progressive refusing to tell me the payout for my 2011 Hatchback until AFTER I agreed to their it's "it's totalled' assessment.

I received several excellent responses, but also quite a few who expressed suspicion of ME, believing that I was "leaving something out" in my post.

Why? Did I break protocol or something? Should I try to continue trying to engage with people who might have useful information or advice or do I look for advice elsewhere?

I wouldn't have come here if I didn't respect and value the advice of fellow Prius lovers.

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like my Dad always said, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one!

Some people can be jerks or are really bad at communicating, don't let them bother you. Fortunately, there's some very intelligence, and nice, folks in here with valuable advice and knowledge. Nobody knows everything but everyone knows something so pick the good stuff and throw out the bad.

For insurance, I don't have much experience, but it sounds like they want you to sign a blank document, trusting them. I'd ask a LOT of questions before signing anything!

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How much experience do you have with Internet forums in general ?
    Sounds like not much.

When you interact with the world as a whole like this, you should expect to get back all KINDS of responses.......many of them not what you expect or want.

Nothing you can do to change that. Learn to sort out the bad by ignoring it and enjoy the good.
    Welcome to the real world.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you link the thread where this happened?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Respecting and valuing the advice of Prius Lovers is one thing... Actually taking time to reply to questions about your situation is another. The former won't mean much if you can't handle the latter and answer a request for more details.

Do you have a copy of their "totaled" assessment yet? How are they expecting you to agree to their assessment without showing it to you?

If you stopped by my place I'd order your fender liner and bumper clips and install them and clean off all the the tape and total cost in parts and labor would be around $200. If a professional auto body shop did the same job it'd get up over $500.

So here we are again in another thread that is still without essential details. I mean you're telling us that an insurance adjuster wants to total your car and pay you but won't tell you how much they'll pay or what the assessment is? How does any of this make any sense, especially when you fail to answer our questions and act like we're being suspicious of you rather than us being suspiscious of the people you're dealing with who sound like they're trying to steal your car...

Please set aside your personal issues and try to answer the questions we keep asking that you haven't yet answered:

-- Explain how the damage occurred in greater detail?
    -- Did you file a claim with your insurance company or someone else's at the time of damage?
    -- Did an insurance adjuster look at your car?
    -- Where's the report? List of what's damaged?
    -- Is the body shop you took it to the one you choose or the one the insurance company choose?
    -- Were air bags deployed?
    -- How long has it been since the damage occurred?
    -- Are they refusing to return your car to you? (maybe they crashed it and aren't telling you?)

Montgomery and ColoradoBoo like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i went back to you other thread and noticed you didn't reply to any responses and didn't answer any questions.
    i wouldn't call it breaking protocol, there really isn't any. but i would call it a failure to indulge in polite conversation

Montgomery and PriusCamper like this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the OP doesn't respond to our questions and ghost's us, we do tend to banter among ourselves after we tire of none of us getting answers to our questions. It's so weird how people come here for help and are unable to reply to clarification questions. I mean how are you going to help someone if they won't interact with people who are trying to help?

bisco likes this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not so strange since when you sign up email notifications are off by default.

But in this case she did respond:

PriusCamper said:
    Some vital information isn't in your post. Can you clarify what's going on here?

Because of progressive terms, I totally lost confidence in the company. I had already gotten an estimate of $3,500 from a great body shop... But I never decide how to spend money without getting at least a couple of opinions.

Have airbags been deployed?

No airbag deployment.

Were you in an accident, or just had some road damage that you didn't get around to fixing for a while?

No accident. Just a distraction that put me over one of those wide I've been about 3 ft wide and maybe three or four inches high at its peak - speed bumps on a very short street in a very quiet neighborhood close to my house.

Did you file a claim with your insurance company before going in for fender liners or after?

Frankly, I never even thought about following a claim because it seemed like such a minor matter. It was only when the duct tape didn't pass Massachusetts inspection standards that I had to rethink the issue. But both before and after that revelation, I've been driving the car over all over the place and never even got pulled over for the tape - months and months of driving, local and highway.

The cost of that repair is less than most deductibles...

Yes! That's exactly what I thought because I do want to research and I found the prices of those fender liners and of the clips and even tripped into the paint. It didn't really need paint but by the time I had epoxy defenders and push the tape over seams, I have gotten black epoxy streaked here and there.

Why even involve you insurance company for this type of repair?

About 3 weeks ago I could maybe four -- with the holidays everything was slow.

Or is it someone else's insurance company?

Nope! The car is paid off and it's always been in my name.

You just need to replace the bumper cover clips and replace fender liners?

Yes, as far as I can tell. But I haven't been directly underneath the vehicle to examine the undercarriage. However, the gentleman who gave me the estimate had been and said nothing about the undercarriage having any kind of damage. If Progressive offered me say, $2,000 for the car, I turn around and take it back to that gentleman and pay the additional $1,500 or $1,000, given the deductible. What gets me over and over again is the fact that it ran great and as always been a great car.

Seems like whoever this insurance company is not telling you the truth... Are you being scammed by someone pretending to be an insurance company? Sure seems like it...

YES! Being scammed or at least being taken advantage of is exactly what I think as well. It just gives me the willies that they won't give me enough information to make an informed decision about how to proceed!

Wow, thanks so much for responding

#8 rjparker, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not in THIS thread she didn't.

Montgomery likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or the other thread. i can't find those responses

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    patty?

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as a fellow massachusettsian, this is very disappointing :(

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :(:(:(:(:(

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Too many of our members assume everyone is advanced DIY and should know this and should know that it's just the way it is unfortunately. Some use the "Start a conversation" messaging to avoid the blowback.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't take this as an offense to state pride @bisco ... From what I learned in college in psychology classes this person posted their story to build support for a dishonest claim with an insurance company and when we started asking questions and reflecting back the fact they're going to fail, they made a last ditch attempt to post this new thread to argue that it was our fault not their fault for their fraudulent claim.

If anyone has an analysis that makes more sense then this, I'd be grateful to learn more, especially if it helps to prove that @Patricia Wynn Norman isn't as awful and dishonest as she's presented herself as.

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And I rest my case...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: