1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie ? about the darn air system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Katznbooks, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Katznbooks

Katznbooks New Member

I saw a lot in the What We Hate About Our Prius thread, but didn't really absorb it, & now there's too much to read through.

How can I get there to be NO air flowing anywhere? I've only had mine since September, but it seems that I always need to have the air blowing on the windshield because it constantly fogs up (any answer for that?). But today was so ludicrously warm here in PA that I opened the windows & figured I could turn off the windshield air. I touched the windshield button so that it went off, & pushed the OFF button for the whole air system, & air blasts out of the "body" vent, & the light that shows that air is blowing on your torso lit up. I had to turn the windshield air back on to make it stop.

I seem to have an awful lot of problems with the air system, & haven't really hit heat or A/C weather yet. Help!

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I hope this helps.

First of all there is not an "AC= cool" and a "Heat= hot button." There is only an Air Conditioning button that blows both hot and cold depending on your set temp and the outside air. If you set it lower then the outside air the car blow cool. If you set it higher then the outside air if blows hot.

Second you can just push the AC button to turn off the system. If the air still blows, then push the OFF button on the left of the screen.

Sometimes I have noticed when I want to shut it off the AUTO button comes one and it sort of overrides the fan and sets the fan to a speed depending on the deference of the set temp and the outside air.

So make sure the AUTO button is off, then the AC button is off, then push the OFF button.

To me it sounds like you may have been fighting the AUTO feature all along.

3. Katznbooks

Katznbooks New Member

I'll check the Auto button, thanks. I certainly haven't deliberately turned it on, but I'll look.

Thanks.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Katz @ Nov 30 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]356069[/snapback]</div>
    Auto is the "normal" method for using the system, but of course not the only method. Many of us leave it on auto and bump the temp setting up and down as needed to control the fan speed. I usually leave my air conditioning set to auto with the A/C button turned off, so that it doesn't run the air conditioning compressor to cool the air. That way as I lower the temp setting, I just get more air flowing. If it's too hot outside, then I kick on the A/C compressor.

As for your windshield fogging up, I haven't had that problem any more than other cars I've owned. Perhaps the heavy slant of the windshield makes it more likely to fog, but it doesn't seem like that would be the case. Just hit the defrost button on the steering wheel as needed.

Tom

5. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Katz @ Nov 30 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]356052[/snapback]</div>
    Another cause of the fogging is if you have the system on RECYCLE. Make sure that you are getting fresh "outside" air. If you live in smog infested areas, sorry but the humidity outside will most likely be less than inside the car.

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those not in the area, the DC/Maryland/Pensylvania area has been exceptionally humid recently, and we've been under 'Severe Fog' warnings for several days. Under those conditions, cars are fogging up left and right, although the Prius does fog a little easier at times.

As to the AC system itself - it does a fairly good job of managing (including fog prevention) itself if you let it. However if you override it (by force setting vents or forcing Recirc on) - it can't do what it wants to do, and this can lead to unexpected fog, especially on fog-prone days.

Try pressing the Auto button on the steering wheel several times, to cycle AC Auto off, then back on. This will unforce anything you've forced, and then use the up/down temp buttons to set the system to something reasonable such as 72. If the air blowing on you is too warm, too cool, or out of the wrong vents, adjust it by adjusting the temperate set point - *not* by forcing the output to one vent or another.

If you want to prevent the AC compressor from running, press the AC button on the climate panel, this will disable the compressor, but allow all the other Auto functions to work correctly.

And of course, when conditions are just wrong, you'll need to tap the defroster button, but you should only need it for brief bursts, you certainly shouldn't need to run it continuously.

-Ken

7. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have RECYCLE ON, and A/C is off you will fog on any vent setting other then Defrost-Floor.
    With the A/C ON you should not fog unless it is below freezing.

My 06 appears to try and defeat the Recycle setting when the temp drops below 37F if the A/C is Off. Also, the Recycle setting will only remain ON during a restart if the A/C is ON.

Also, on RECYCLE the fan will never go below speed 2 (on Auto) with A/C off. On full Auto with the A/C On the fan will drop to speed 1. Again, I think they are trying not to fog without the A/C running.