1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by NinjaProdigy, Oct 18, 2019.

1. NinjaProdigy

NinjaProdigy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking of buying a used Prius. I'm not trying to break the bank, so I've been looking at third generation.
    After looking into it quite a bit, people have suggested I get the 2014 and 2015 since they don't have the oil burning problem gen 2 has.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when I'm looking at the Prius'? Where is the best place to buy a good Prius, a dealer, private party, online?
    Should I be looking at gen 4? Or is gen 3 a good fit?
    I'm in California, so should I be looking for a Prius with under 100,000 miles so I can get the most out of the hybrid battery warranty?

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles a year do you average?

how many years would you like keep it?

what is your budget?

what will you be able to afford for repairs?

can you diy, or do you know a hybrid repair shop, or will you be taking it to the dealer?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. NinjaProdigy

NinjaProdigy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I usually average about 8k miles a year.
    I plan to keep it probably 3-4 years.
    I can afford decent repairs, nothing ground breaking. Wouldn't want to make a repair that is over 1k.
    I can DIY some stuff. I saw videos on hybrid battery changing, and it did not look too bad. Just looks like it would take a very long time. I don't know a hybrid repair shop, but I'm in San Jose aka Silicon Valley. I'm sure I can find one.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're only going to keep it 40k max, i'd say any gen 3 with 110k or less should be fine.

biggest common issue is the clogging egr circuit. i suggest searching and reading up on it, as it can possibly lead to a blown head gasket.
    in regards to that, you would want to have any potential purchase inspected by a qualified mechanic, especially for compression leak down test.
    another issue is the brake actuator. there may be an extended warranty, i'm not sure. it is about a $2,500. dealer repair if it is not covered.