1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie asks about tire sizes

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GoinGal, Mar 14, 2009.

1. GoinGal

GoinGal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    I
    I have been wanting a Prius since before they came to the US. I am finally in the position to buy one. But the questions..... What is the difference between the standard vs touring besides the tire size. Does tire size make a difference? I heard someone once saying that they can't listen to their radio while the car is off or it will burn out the battery. Is that true?

Just do not know now that I can.
    Thx
    Gal

2. Mickey9201

Mickey9201 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    About the battery eventually it will be true if left on. The standard gets better mpg's than the touring. I don't know the size of tires on the touring to answer that.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Touring Edition has the following features that are not on the Standard Prius:

1. 16" wheels with 195/55/16 performance oriented tires (Standard Prius has 15" wheels with 185/65/15 tires).

2. "Tuned Suspension", which consists of (a) larger front stabilizer bar, (b) larger rear stabilizer bar, (c) different rear shocks, and (d) different rear springs.

3. HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps (but they are available as an option for the Standard Prius).

4. Front fog lights (but they are available as an option for the Standard Prius).

5. Larger rear spoiler.

Overall, the Touring Edition will handle better than the Standard Prius which IMO has below average handling for a car of its size.

Note that Consumer Reports found that the Touring Edition, with its tuned suspension and larger and more performance oriented tires, handled significantly better than the Standard Prius, but got 2 fewer MPGs.

----------

The 12 volt battery on the Prius is much smaller than the average car's. Thus when you play the radio without having the ignition on, the Prius' smaller 12 volt battery will run down faster than the average car's.

The good news is that you can run the Prius with the radio and air conditioning on for a tiny fraction of the cost that it would be for the average internal combustion engine car.