1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

newbie audio question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by misterbig, Apr 27, 2005.

1. misterbig

misterbig New Member

Well I finally decided I'd like to buy a 2005 Prius. I was hoping I could order one with most options except for the "premium" audio, but in Canada, it looks like the only 2 option packages are
    A- everything except for the navigation
    B- everything including the navigation

I could go bare bones, with no option package, but then I wouldn't even to get the Vehicle Stability Control or front side airbags.

Like many people here, I'd like a better audio system. I've read thru many posts here but I still don't know if the following idea would work, so here goes.

From what I've read on this forum it seems that the amplifier and head unit are integrated into the Prius so that removing either of them would affect other functions not even related to the audio. Well then let's say I pay a pro to hook up some passive resistance to the amplifier in place of the speakers, so the amplifier still thinks the speakers are connected. Then the car wouldn't know the audio system was modified, and I would then be free to pay a pro to install a completely new system, including a new head unit, amp or amps, and speakers. I'd just have the pro move the still connected head unit to some other place like the glove compartment, etc. I guess some length would have to be added to the wires from the head unit to move it. I don't care about controlling the audio by way of the steering wheel. I guess if that idea works, I could then order the full option package including the navigation, and as long as I don't turn the power on for the original head unit, everything should be ok, right?

I haven't read thru all the posts yet so sorry if this idea has been discussed already.

Thanks for any advice.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You should be able to replace the head unit and amp without problems other than losing the beeps from the MFD, which some would consider a plus. of course then you wouldn't be able to control the stereo with the display or steering wheel controls.

As a test, try disconnecting the plugs from the header and amp and see if the MFD complains.

3. misterbig

misterbig New Member

Thanks DanMan32. That's great news, although I don't own a prius yet so I can't try that. I'm looking for a new car and the Prius seems to be an excellent choice. I just wanted to be sure that it's possible to install an excellent audio system in it before I buy one. It seems from what I've been reading on this forum that it's very difficult to modify the existing stereo, so I thought maybe the best way would be to add a complete new system and leave the old one basically intact.
    I found this site
    http://www.hzemall.com/about_us/our_servic...ur_services.htm
    on the internet, and I see their address is close to where I live. So if it can be done, it looks like they could do it. Looks like they can also do some other stuff too. I've looked thru some pictures others here have posted and see some nice modifications. I'm even tempted to remove the rear seats and have it totally flat behind the front seats, with a flip up hidden storage area. I think that would be cool and unique...or maybe have a 3 seater, turning one flip down rear seat into a storage compartment so to conceal amplifiers. Well, that's just a bit of rambling...thanks again for the info.