1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie (be gentle!): How do I wax my baby?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tarapup, Mar 21, 2008.

1. tarapup

tarapup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    all. I'm a newbie. http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/44417-just-picked-up-my-08-metallic-grey-yesterday.html

Please be gentle. I'm usually a "go to the wash, tell them what I want, and wait" kind o'girl. But with this car, I plan to try to handle it myself.

Okay, at least for now. :p

I have all the products...I'm prepared. But I don't have the WAX or a clear coat protectant kind o'deal.

Your recommendations and experience, please?

Thanks, Mary

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out the ZAINO threads!
    Best stuff I've ever used and very easy!!!!!:cheer2:

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with Barbara M. Zaino is amazing. You won't believe how your car can gleam, and it smells good!

4. longrider

longrider soxfan

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll 3rd on the Zaino products. That's all I use on my Corvette. It's not a wax, but a polish and boy does it work. Some people find the instructions a little confusing but I highly recommend it. I'll never use wax again.
    No matter what you decide, you'll want to start out by "claying" your cars finish. It's very easy to do and the clay bar will pull surface contaminants out of the paint so you have a nice clean surface to shine up. I think McGuire's and Griot's websites actually have videos you can watch to see how it works.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    your probably going to get a lot of responses and plugs for zaino
    on this one!!!!

consumers reprorts reccomends only using spray on wax on a new car

and a non abraisive wax like black magic (8.42 a bottle on amazon) is rated highly

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Turtle Wax, cotton cloth and Elbow Grease.

Wash and dry the car in the shade with a good car wash, I like Turtle Wash. Leave the car to dry for an hour after using a chamois to remove as much water as possible.
    Put wax on clean rag, rub onto the panel in a circular motion making it look dull, add more wax to rag if needed to cover the panel, allow to dry then using a clean cloth buff to a mirror shine.
    Avoid getting wax in rubber parts.
    Start with the roof, bonnet and hatch then at a corner and work around the car.

NEVER polish in the direct sunshine or if it is really hot.

Repeat once or twice a year depending on your environment.

8. strider5

strider5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been using Zaino for years on various cars. no offense, but forget elbow grease and waxes that only last a month or two.

I switched to Zaino Z-CS not long ago and really like it. even easier than Z2. you spray it on like windex, wipe it around and let it dry. no removal necessary.

expensive, but what is your time and "elbow grease" worth? ;)

I find that zaino lasts about 6 months. it is NOT a polish though, so it is best if you start using it when your car is new, otherwise you will need to polish out swirlmarks and then apply. zaino on top of swirls will just end up in a really shiny swirled car :(

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    turtle wax wasn't rated highly, its really one of the more
    abrasive automotive waxes

10. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ao over to autogeek.net

they have a ton of stuff. Since your car is new it wont really need a polish, although some would say to clay a new car..it wont hurt anything just be sure you use plenty of lubrication, like mequiars OD. Wash car first, CLAY(this only needs to be done twice a year imo) What I do is this in order. 1.)Pinnacle XMT claze polish #1, very fine. 2.) coat of techwaxNXT paste..and usually call it done then, the NXT will take some time to "set" depends on your climate. You can top it off with a carnauba wax to really make it stand out. Never used Zaino, but hear it's the bomb. Most of these products are very good quality, and I gotta say techwax does last, and for quite a while..normally 3 months in paste form.

Just be sure to wash properly and you should be fine in regards to swirls, your always gonna have a few here and there, but dont loose sleep over it. I have a black car and it can drive you mad. Im thinking of picking up the porter cable DA for the swirls one of these days.

11. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a "06 and used 5Star Shine PPS, a silicone based coating. Have never had to re-apply since August of "06, still beads up and dirt just kind of falls off. Very expensive. See the advertisement on Never Wax Your Car Again! - 5 Star Shine

12. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How's that 5Start Shine working for you? I'm looking for a car coating that easily repels dirt or washes off easily, since I have a 2010 White Prius.

Thanks!