1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie checking in

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lcruiser, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new 2007 or slightly used Prius. Gas price $3.50 really convince me to get one now, and wanting to save the world :). I am suprised that even used 2005 or 2006 model demand close to $25K. Yikes!

I used to own 2003 Toyota Matrix, and I miss it very much! :( I currently drive Acura Legend, and (don't flame on me) LX 450 for camping and a little bit for snow trip :D. I hardly drive that beast anyway.

PS: I studied Environmental Economic when I was in College. :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello and welcome to PriusChat!

I would try for a new Prius if your budget allows since you will be eligible for tax credits (used cars aren't).

You'll find a wealth of information on this site so do search and hopefully the search function will be kind enough and produce some results (if not, be a little creative as it can be stubborn at times).

And ask away!

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, if an '05 costs that much I would buy a new one. You don't have to get it in California, all Prius sold in any state meet California emission requirements. If you have time and don't mind taking a trip shop around a bit, I know you could buy a new one here (Eastern Oregon or Washington) for under MSRP. Might be fun to go somewhere and drive home in your new car?

I would also suggest looking at the Honda Civic Hybrid. The hybrid system is not as sophisticated as the Prius HSD but it still provides good economy in a good dependable machine.

4. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Mar 31 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]415514[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the welcome...

I have already done my tax return for 2006. So, if I buy it now, can it apply for 2007 tax credit?

I have a small baby, so I want a little more room inside, and safety. Honda Civic or Prius?

5. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]415517[/snapback]</div>
    If you need room, go for the Prius.

I bought mine last weekend in Sacramento for $3750 off MSRP, which is about $1500 under invoice, and got 2.9% APR for 60 months. Sounds like you might be better off buying new.

The 50% tax credit (around $1575) expires after today (31 March). After that, it will be around $800. After 30 September, there will be no tax credit.

Good luck ... and don't be ashamed of your Lexus SUV around here ... that is one sweet ride.

6. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Mar 31 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]415552[/snapback]</div>

Dang!! Today? What's your package, and out the door price? I need sell one of my car first.

7. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]415583[/snapback]</div>
    1. Not today ... last weekend.

2. $25,770 NOT including tax, title, and license.

3. Non-touring Package #6.

8. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Mar 31 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]415589[/snapback]</div>
    Is there household income limit to qualify for tax credit?

9. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]415595[/snapback]</div>
    Do some searching in the "Tax" forum found on this site ... yes, there are restrictions.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go Prius.. unless you can fit the pram (stroller) in the boot. The only thing I like about the HCH's interior is the flat rear floor and the cool blue/beige interior combination.

11. nelda

nelda New Member

Unless prices are a lot higher in CA, the used price you list is a bit high. I just purchased from a used 2005 (built Nov 2005) Prius, loaded with pkg 6 (includes nav system) with 20 K miles for 20.7 K (tax, title, docs, everything out the door) this last month. I had two that I was considering, one here iand the other about 90 mi away, both for about the same price. The other one was certfied as well.

Chack out carmax.com for an idea of prices. I got mine for about 2K less than what CarMax was asking, but it is a place to start.

It does sound like you may benefit from he tax break though, so be sure to take everything into consideration.

I have been very happy with my Prius so far, starting to relearn how to drive. My first gas-up (left the dealer with less than 1/2 tank) was about 30 mpg, next was 43 mpg, and currently averaging 47 mpg (accoding to the MFD). I have an non-ideal route, between 2 and 4 miles to anywhere that I need to go (work), so I am driving in stuations where the full potential of the Prius gas mpg savings are not as likely to be realized. I have an out-of-town trip planned this next week, am anxious to see what kind of mpg I get then.

I have to say I am enjoying this car - didn't realize thait would be so fun to drive. I had to find a seat cushion because the seats were not "just right" for me, but it is better now. I love the gadgets. Unfortunately, my cell phone won't connect yet with BT (still working on it, it should work aftrr the updates to the phone, but haven't gotten it to work yet, haven't had the time to play with it). The HomeLink garage door opener is nice. Nav is nice.

The rear visablity still bothers me, I wish they would fix that. I do not have a rear view camera (it is available after maket, and on the newer models).

A few thoughts from a newer owner - Nelda

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Mar 31 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]415493[/snapback]</div>