1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie from Ruskin Florida

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sleonardelli, Apr 9, 2008.

1. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've actually posted a couple of times but am now making an actual introduction. I'm a retired USAF MSgt currently employed with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency at Central Command.

75 mile daily round trip mileage was killing me so I got the Prius and love, love, love the car. Quickly becoming a Priuschat junkie as well.

While I didn't get the color I hoped for I am so happy with Silver Pine Mica. Went in on Monday, 5 Prius' on the lot. Only the Silver Pine Mica had the package I wanted but added options. Went back Friday, only one Prius remaining; then someone tried to buy my car while I finishing the paperwork.

Down to 3 pips today so I pulled into Sam's. The tank only let me add 2 1/2 gallons. Listened to everyone on this site and did not try to shove more fuel in the tank. Still shows 3 pips.

I'm thinking about the following vanity plates (some ideas I gleaned from the site; some were recommendations):

GR8 MPG or GRR8 MPG
    LE55 GA5
    SHH CAR
    50MPG&U?
    RE VOLT
    GASDIET
    SIPS GAS or SIPZ GAS
    NOFUELN
    DUALPWR
    KIX GAS or K1X GA5
    MOREMPG or M0REMPG
    H8 GAS
    H8 OPEC (husband)
    NO GAS $$
    WHYGASIT or YGASIT
    YPA4GAS
    GNG2GRN OR 4GNGGRN
    4BTRMPG

Willing to take recommendations for which to choose (I have to make 4 choices).

Now some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hello and welcome from another USAF person. 72-76 with an 18 month stint at Tyndall AFB, Panama City, FL. After 13 months of the guess guage, I finally settled for these methods of filling the Prius. Check the trip odometer and do a quick mpg calculation when the pump stops, if the number is reasonable then stop. I've had pumps that hated the tank in the Prius but I persisted until it was full or close. Lately I have pulled in and left the ignition on, watching the guess guage to be sure it makes it to the last pip. Enjoy ! :)

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:

About filling up:
    If it's off by more than a half-gallon, it's worth trying to go another click. It's typically only when people go past two clicks that they get into trouble, but I'd recommend stopping on the first click if it seems reasonably close (double the miles on the tank and divide by 100 to get approximately how many gallons you'll need - eg: 340 miles = 6.8 gallons, if you're getting something close to 50 mpg).

What are the dual headsets? Is that aftermarket?

I vote for H8 OPEC, MORE MPG or LE55 GA5. The 4GNGGRN could be confusing, people might thing you're some kind of engineer or something. My plates are LOTOLV4 (I wanted LOT2LV4, but IL won't let me embed numbers). That's supposed to translate to "lot to live for" (I got them shortly after getting married and my wife was pregnant). People keep asking if I won the lottery or love the lottery or at best, have a "lot to love". I don't know of anyone who's gotten it right yet, so I'm thinking of getting something easier to figure out.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't recommend that. First, I would think there'd be a bit of a delay before the gas gauge shows the actual value (at least it takes a short while to go to the top when I drive away from the gas station).

Second, there was a post awhile back showing the gas tank and related systems in great detail (it linked to a technical document), and the air venting system shuts down when the power is off. If you overfill with the Prius still on, the gasoline could get sucked into more places and cause more damage than otherwise would happen. (Find the post for more detail, galaxee probably knows what it's called).

Only very rarely have I had to go past two clicks, almost always the first click is very close to full. Use the slow setting on the nozzle trigger for better filling accuracy. That way you might have time to wash the windshield as well!

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ruskin!!! national weather service thing is there right?
    i remember hearing it on my weather radio

6. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the fueling tips. I'll definitely check it out next time I gas up.

H8 OPEC seems to be in the lead. I emailed family and friends and this one has been their #1 choice.

The dual headrest DVD players is an option when you build your car but is something the dealer puts in after you purchase the car. Paid $1995 for mine but you may want to shop around, there are probably less expensive places to purchase and have them installed.