1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie has Fillup question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cary1952, Apr 4, 2006.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I filled yesterday for the 5th time. I had driven 303 miles and now have 1103 total. I last filled at 800 miles. The 4 previous fills, the car computer was within a mile or 2 of my calculated mileage at the pump. Actually my calculated was usually the slightly higher.

When I filled yesterday at 303 miles, my computer indicated the average to be 52.5mpg. I was very excited that I was going to get my first tank over 50mpg.

There were 3 bars left. I was expecting to put in under 5.8 gallons. My shock was that I put in a bit over 7.1, for a calculated milage of only 43mpg. Needless to say I was disappointed and concerned. I stopped filling when the pump automatically shut off as always. There was no spillage. The temperature yesterday was 45 degrees when I filled in the evening, though the high temperature for the day was 54 degrees. I think I have all the facts covered, other than it was a new gas station for me.

Now with 79 miles on the new tank, the guage still reads full.

I have 2 questions.......... 1.) Could the pump be wrong or my bladder stretched? 2.) How many miles is normally driven for the gas bar to go down 1 notch from full on a refill?

Thanks.

Cary in S.D.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the vagarities of the Prius fuel containment and filling system. The bladder could have stretched, it may have been underfilling a little the previous tanks and this was slightly overfilled, etc. I doubt the pump volume was that far off, they're usually fairly accurate.

Don't sweat it, you're going to have weird fills from time to time and that's just the way this car is.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I noticed the S. Dakota location. It's spring there (as it is here in Rapid City) I would bet the cold is the culprit in the weird fills. Plus with recent warming, then cold, then warm (very typical spring variances below 30s, then 75s, then back to 30s). Winter temps tend to make for less volume. Warmer temps and u can get over 10 gallons in! Welcome to Priusland.
    It's an awesome car, and all it's quirks just make it that much more to love, IMO. Enjoy, and don't expect too much above 45 MPG during the break-in period, in winter temps...especially if u drive shorter than ten minutes (my daily commute).
    Have patience...it'll only get better as it warms and u learn the Prius zen!