1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie here, Prius advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gedebage, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gedebage

gedebage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All
    I am in the UK and am seriously considering buying a 2007/8 Tspirit.
    I have read many reviews on Prius and many are somewhat negative saying that owning a small diesel is more economical, however when I read Prius owner reviews most seem to be very happy with the car.

I now drive an X type Jaguar, so a Prius will be a complete learning curve for me.

One thing that concerns me is the battery life. I believe it is very expensive to replace, also will the car be up to high motorway speeds without thrashing the engine? Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks.:)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is possible to get such a tiny diesel that you get better economy, diesels with similar power to the Prius will have very similar economy.

About 1 battery in 40,000 dies before 100,000 miles. I am unclear what options you will have in the UK, in the US, they retail new for $2300 USD and there are battery rebuilders selling for $1400 USD. Ebay has used batteries for $500 USD.

I am also vague on how fast a 'motorway' is, my Prius is turning about 1700 RPM* at 61 MPH, (98 km/h) 2200 RPM* at 71 MPH. (114 km/h)

*average, the engine computer adjusts constantly, there is no fixed RPM to MPH relationship.

1 person likes this.
  3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The engine is quite fast, from a start and midrange. Perhaps not comparable to a Jag tho. But, the Prius is a mid-size, extreme economy car.

1 person likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still believe this is a serious misstatement of the item published in Newsweek and discussed here earlier.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't really comment on the gen2 Prius as I have a 2009 gen3 (or 2010 model as they call it in the US).

You might want to check out the UK forums for UK advice on how the gen2 Prius compares to a small diesel, but what do you call a small diesel? To get similar economy to the Prius (even the gen 2) you will need a very small diesel such as the VW Polo Bluemotion. But it won't be as quick or as smooth and quiet and certainly doesn't have an automatic transmission and is much smaller.

Check out the UK forum (though Priuschat is a great mine of info too) and go test drive one too. The Prius has had a lot of bad press from the likes of Clarkson, but they're a fantastically smooth, comfortable ride and very economical. The gen3 is even better if your budget will stretch that far and buy a new one to get the benefit of a 5 year/100k mile warranty! Now that will avoid any worries or concerns you may have!

1 person likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am also a newbie. Bought a 2008 Tspirit 4mnths ago and never made a better move.
    £10 pounds a year road tax and I get 62MPG in a rural area (Herefordshire) take the
    plunge and don't look back

1 person likes this.
  7. gedebage

gedebage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks people for the comments. I see a lot of high mileage 07/08 Priuses around. I guess the are ex fleet cars. If I can find one at the right price with under 40,000 miles on it. I think I will go for it. I really want the T spirit though. I like the toys. Is the satnav Europe wide?

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They might not just be ex fleet, but ex TAXI fleet!!! Especially round London.

Easy way to tell is scuffing on the center console at the rear due to many passengers and also a saggy or worn passenger side rear seat. The passenger seat belts will also show wear which occurs after significant use and wouldn't occur on a reps car.

Taxi or chauffeur fleets get rid of their cars at certain ages or mileages for a reason! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The satnav is Europe wide (4DVD'S),I bought my prius ex lease with 60,000miles full history drives as new, and as you say has all the toys. I find the reversing camera very
    good even when it's dark. My previous cars include BMW 7series but I do not find the
    prius any less comfortable.

1 person likes this.
  10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not sure what a Tspirit is.

How many of these reviews are by people who hate small economy cars in general? If you're thinking of getting one, consider renting one and taking it on your daily drive for a week or so. If you hate it, don't buy it.

We don't really have them here, don't know how they compare.

If you can find one who isn't, maybe you can get a good deal on the car. There are people who don't like them for whatever reason.

I would be concerned about moving down from a Jag to a Toyota no matter how good it is. They are not a luxury car.

Mostly they don't die. See the 100,000k miles thread and the 200,000K miles thread, see real people have done with the traction batteries. We are mostly fans here, but we are not at all shy about voicing complaints if we feel something is not built properly.

My Gen I would do 90 MPH (145 KPH) without straining the engine. Mind you, it took a little time to get there, but once there, the engine was fine. The suspension was a different story however...

Your mileage will drop if you cruise at 70 MPH (113 KPH), but the motor is not strained or injured by it. How fast is British traffic?

1 person likes this.
  11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Between 65 & 85 mph, thought he legal limit on a motorway is 70 mph.

I often do some motorway driving and the Prius is happy to keep up with the traffic. Also, it can be rather nippy should you need to change lanes quickly, esp if you use Power mode.

1 person likes this.
  12. gedebage

gedebage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again thanks for your imput . I will definately get a Prius. My mind is made up.Don't think I can stretch the budget for a GEN 111, however I will keep an eye out.

13. Andi

Andi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have ad mine for about 2 months now. Got it at 24500 miles and now on 26000. I think that the car is really great and the saving in fuel and tax is really good. Mine does about 53 mpg which I am very happy with. It's got great leg room in the back and very easy to drive. The wife was not sure when we got it but she likes it now. It is faster than our old 1.8 golf but don't drive it that way.

The only thing i have found is that when cruise control is on and you go up a hill on the motorway the engine gets a bit noisy.

1 person likes this.
  14. gedebage

gedebage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing i have found is that when cruise control is on and you go up a hill on the motorway the engine gets a bit noisy.[/QUOTE]

That is what concerns me the most is the power on hills,overtaking, etc.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no lack of power to over take or clime hills, but the cruise control does seem to
    over compensate for hills, and short steep inclines (hump bridges etc) and the sudden acceleration can be quite alarming. As reported in my previous posts I have had a large
    variety of cars (company and privately owned) the prius is not a hi powerd super car, but it is not slow or under powered.

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I personally waited until the gen3 came out as it has a 1.8 engine and a third more power, but equal or better fuel economy.

I always thought the gen2 a wee bit underpowered.

Give one a test drive - that way you'll know if it'll be ok for you.