1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Here - What is the difference between the 12V battery and the hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusGirlyGirl, Dec 6, 2009.

1. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know that the little 12v. is in the back and powers accessories/lights. But I read it can be discharged? Is that not the battery that gets charged when breaking or is that the big hybrid batter at the bottom of the trunk?

Also which battery is being displayed in the multi-informational display up front? IS that the big battery or the 12v. one?

I thought the Prius didn't require any battery charging outside of the car. What's the deal?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v battery can be discharged as would any normal 12v battery found in every other car. The 12v battery does not get charged directly by braking. The regeneration braking will recharge the hybrid battery (traction battery, HV battery).

The hybrid battery / traction battery is what is being displayed on the MFD.

It doesn't. Your 12v battery will be recharged by the inverter which is powered by the hybrid battery and gasoline engine. Some people just put too much of a draw on the 12v battery and it fails sooner than others. If you have a large drain on the 12v battery or you leave your lights on or door ajar then you may need to use a battery charger to recharge the 12v battery but that is rare. There is no need to charge any battry in the Prius via outside sources unless you goof up and leave a drain on the 12v battery.

1 person likes this.