1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEWBIE* - How do you drive this thing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius_got_soul, Jul 25, 2005.

1. prius_got_soul

prius_got_soul New Member

I just purchased a certtified '04 Prius. i have to admit i was a little skeptical coming from a BMW. after a few days of driving it though i have to say i love it! its got soul! its funky! and somehow i feel more connected to the earth, yet it looks like you can cruise through space with it. One thing....it didnt come with a manual and the only thing i got from the salesman was...well....a sales pitch. im ordering a manual vial mail but need some advice in the meantime. What do you or the manual recommend on how to drive it. from D to B and back....freeway? street? does it hurt the car switching from D to B while moving?
    replies.

Thanks in advance for your

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    leave it in D... B is for engine braking in the instance of, say coming down a mountain.

I don't know if it will hurt the car... typically if it's bad the car won't let you do it. Well, within reason :lol:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry about B at all unless you frequently descend long steep hills/mountains and get tired of using the brake.

To switch b/w just move the shifter from one to the other...can't hurt anything.

You can go to the Toyota Tech site to download the owner's manual (and the repair manual and new car guide and other stuff) for $10/day...it's a bit tedious so pick a day when you have lots of free time.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/index.html

4. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

You should love the car - I do and my main car is a 7 series BMW. Very different car, but lots of fun to drive - its like playing a video game. My wife actually like driving in it much more than the BMW, always complains she is so low in the BMW but the seats are high up in the Prius.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster\";p=\"110210)</div>
    kirbinster,
    Good to find someone with similar background. I still have my '98 BMW540iA, which is replaced by my '05 Prius. I only drive the Bimmer once or twice a week now. A BMW encourages you to drive faster and faster till you get stopped by the police. A Prius rewards you for driving calmly and smoothly.

Besides, my 540iA keeps giving me headaches. If you have an E38, the radiator of V8 would fail between 55K to 75K miles. watch out!

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :partytime:[font=Comic Sans MS:a63076782b]Congratulations, Prius_got_soul! You're gonna love your car. People here on PriusChat are really friendly, so ask any questions you have, as well as reading all the old threads. The Search feature (upper right side of the page) is your friend.[/font:a63076782b]

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Some useful stuff here: http://john1701a.com/
    The "usermanual" at the bottom of that link is very useful and practicle.

Here is the 2005 manual.... download it now.. I may need to delete it later.

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Prius should be your main car! Ditch the beamer!