1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie in Florida

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by happy5069, Apr 6, 2008.

1. happy5069

happy5069 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My "Prius Day" was 2-months ago. I bought an 07 Touring model demo from a dealer. So far much better than expected. My daughter went with me to get the car, she was impressed - 1-month ago she bought herself an 2001 Prius!! Her husband suggested I look at priuschat.com. I have learned alot. But really am making this posting in hopes the "never posted" screen never shows up again.

Postings I have pondered on:
    I am in Florida where temps are always mild and so have not noticed the "bladder shrinkage" that many talk about. If this really is a big problem it seems you can never know what your mileage is on a single tank/bladder of fuel as the capacity might have changed from last fillup.

Does covering the upper grill openings increase mpg by engine temp or aerodynamics? I used to have a airplane (air cooled engine), my cowl openings effected both, but especially aerodynamics.

MPG tests on only a few miles does not seem at all accurate to me, there are just too many variables.

The mpg addiction is very strong - I started off at 45 mpg at 70 mph, and quickly found that I could get 54 mpg at 63 mph. Now with my tires at 45 psi, my upper grill covered, and watching my info display closely I got 70+ on my last three 20-50 mi suburban/city outings; I have not yet been on the Interstate with these changes.

Yes, I love my Prius (especially talking to it when I have passengers!).

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi happy5069, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:

Absolutely correct. You only have a general idea: all pips showing - no worries, two pips - get gas, one pip flashing - GET GAS NOW!
    Maybe both. There in mild Florida your ICE gets warm faster than it does in more northerly climes. A warm ICE is necessary for good fuel efficiency. Your Prius doesn't get the air speed of your plane (I hope!) so the aerodynamic effect is smaller, but there none the less.
    The screen displayed MPG is calculated from the number of milliseconds the injectors are open (for fuel volume) divided by the number of wheel rotations (for distance), so that can be fairly accurate, but I've found it to be slightly optimistic. Figuring gallons divided by miles based on pump receipts uses much bigger, more variable, units, but becomes asymptotic to the displayed MPG after a few months.
    Have you tried I'm hungry and had her say Displaying restaurant icons? ;)

What part of Florida are you in?

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on the new car and welcome to PC. Get used to not seeing your favourite gas attendant as often.;)