1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Looking For Help on Spinning ICE without Firing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jdh2550, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jdh2550

jdh2550 Co-Founder, Current Motor Company

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Question: How do folks spin the ICE without starting it? Is this done as a hack? (e.g. using an external relay to switch off fuel and/or spark) Or as a CAN message over the bus? (i.e. is there a CAN code for "spin engine but don't run it").

I'm soon to become the owner of a rolling PHEV experiment - err, I mean a 2004 Prius which I shall promptly turn into said experiment. Yes, I realize it's "all been done before" but that doesn't stop folks climbing Everest, right?

My current plan is to do a large LiFePO4 pack (60Ah * 200V = 12 kWh). I plan to develop a CAN Bridge to split the CANBUS into two separate networks so that I can inject and alter messages between the battery subsystem and the rest of the network (that's if I leave the NiMH in place - if I do a complete pack replacement then I guess I'll be doing my own Battery ECU - but that sounds like more work still!)

I want to try and get a 70mph capable EV like the PICC25 kit but with significantly better range. I'd simply buy the Ewert's HEM - but they don't sell it separately. 64 60Ah cells should be less than $5K. I don't want to shell out an extra $8,500 for the PICC25. Besides, I'd rather do it myself.

I've been reading up on the PSD and the MG1 RPM limits. This page is great: "Toyota Power Split Device" (forum won't let me post a link yet)

Hence the question: What's the best way to spin the ICE without firing it?

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gas line filter plugged or no gas? H

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive at speeds over 41 mph in stage 3 or stage 4 and with no engine load. It will spin the ICE, but I believe without injecting/igniting fuel. At least, I think it does that. I'm sure one of hobbit's pages (as well as John1701a) goes into this, but it might take some digging.

4. rvndave

rvndave New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Without oil pressure, the engine spins but will not fire. I guess you could tap into the oil pressure sending unit and brake this connection.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At anything over 22mph when I put the shifter into "B" the ice spins and doesn't fire, it's an air brake.