1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie needs help with HID headlights

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jay Hare, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Jay Hare

Jay Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

This is the second Prius that I've owned and absolutely love these cars and cannot see myself owning anything else.

Two years ago I purchased a used 2007 Prius with the HID headlights. I recently replaced them and the ballasts. For the past two weeks they have been working great but this past weekend the passenger side headlight stopped working. I checked the 15 amp fuses and the fuse for the light was indeed blown. I replaced it but the fuse continues to blow every time I turn the lights on. Also something weird is going on with the fog lights. When I hit the high beams the fog lights go out.

In full disclosure I replaced these headlights myself. I have basic mechanic knowledge which means I can tackle minor repairs on most cars. I researched the job on YouTube and was very careful when replacing the parts. I'm thinking that there is a wire arcing somewhere or maybe something unrelated going on despite the recent repair.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Crant

Crant New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This may already be obvious but it sounds like a short and you may need to trace the entire path of the voltage to the headlight.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! (The finest place to learn all you'll ever need to know about your Prius). I don't have an answer to explain your fuse problem, but on my 2009 Gen II (known as the ChuggyPig) the fog-lamps only come on with the low-beams (i.e. they're extinguished when hi-beams are selected) - I think it is mentioned in the destruction manual, so it sounds like your are behaving exactly as they should. There are many threads about HID headlights, including a recent thread about "all HID replacements not being equal" (use search) - you mentioned that you recently replaced the lamps and the ballasts, and I was wondering if you used a branded replacement or a Chinese knock-off? Good luck in your search, and welcome once again to PriusChat! - Wil

PS: reading your post once again, I agree with the suggestion that there might be a short-circuit, but without a meter, or some means of measuring, you might find it difficult to diagnose the fault.

4. Jay Hare

Jay Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not the answer I was hoping for but you are probably right. Got a feeling this will not be a simple fix. Thanks for your help!

Crant likes this.
  5. Jay Hare

Jay Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wil,
    Thanks fo rthe response to my problem. The ballasts were aftermarket but had good reviews on Amazon. The bulbs are probably from China but they had good reviews too. Not sure I really trust the review system but who knows. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to a technician to hopefully get the short fixed. I was wondering though if there was a short would I be able to see a damaged wire or something? Thanks for the advice on the fog lights too. That is probably the case and I just never noticed until now.

Thanks,

Jay

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aren't the foglights supposed to go out when highbeams are on? My oem Camry's foglights go out when highbeams are activated. It's normal behavior.

7. Jay Hare

Jay Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks everyone for the help.. Greatly appreciated! Once the headlight is fixed I will let you know.

8. Jay Hare

Jay Hare New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Finally fixed headlights last week. Had to go to dealership to diagnose and fix. One of the ballasts that I installed was bad so it had to be replaced. During the process the ballast would blow the lights as well so I had to get a new lamp as well. Ordered another ballast for $80 on eBay which even though the first one didn't work out it was still a lot cheaper than buying one from the dealer. Good to go now, thanks for everyone for the help.
    Jay